Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by cm...@collab.net on 2002/11/08 06:03:03 UTC

svnlook/svnadmin proposal.

I'd like to shift around some functionality in the svnlook and
svnadmin tools.  Specifically, I'd like to do the following:

1.  Fix svnlook's syntax (using the option parsing code) to be
    consistent with svnadmin's.

    Usage: svnlook [OPTIONS] [SUBCOMMAND] REPOS_PATH
       -r REV
       -t TXN
    Subcommands:
       author:        print author.
       changed:       print full change summary: all dirs & files changed.
       date:          print the timestamp (revisions only).
       diff:          print GNU-style diffs of changed files and props.
       dirs-changed:  print changed directories.
       ids:           print the tree, with nodes ids.
       info:          print the author, data, log_size, and log message.
       log:           print log message.
       tree:          print the tree.

2.  Move some stuff from svnadmin into either svnlook or the bitbucket:

    svnadmin youngest ==> svnlook youngest
    svnadmin lscr ==> svnlook lscr
    svnadmin lsrevs ==> /dev/null
    svnadmin setlog ==> /dev/null (we can do this 'svn' now)
    svnadmin lstxns

3.  (Optional) Invest a little time cleaning up 'svnadmin shell',
    which is a *wonderful* debugging/admin tool (thanks, Ben!).  My
    first wishlist item would be to add the ability to browse not just
    revisions, but transactions as well.  Though, I guess if you
    torture me long enough, I could probably agree to gank this outta
    svnadmin and re-write it as Python tool.

Comments?

Re: svnlook/svnadmin proposal.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 12:03:03AM -0600, cmpilato@collab.net wrote:
> 3.  (Optional) Invest a little time cleaning up 'svnadmin shell',
>     which is a *wonderful* debugging/admin tool (thanks, Ben!).  My
>     first wishlist item would be to add the ability to browse not just
>     revisions, but transactions as well.  Though, I guess if you
>     torture me long enough, I could probably agree to gank this outta
>     svnadmin and re-write it as Python tool.

Yank it. Move it to Python, then add readline and tab-completion :-)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: svnlook/svnadmin proposal.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
cmpilato@collab.net writes:
> 1.  Fix svnlook's syntax (using the option parsing code) to be
>     consistent with svnadmin's.

All sounds great!  Note that the first task is issue #910.

Re: svnlook/svnadmin proposal.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
cmpilato@collab.net wrote:

>brane@xbc.nu writes:
>

>>Quoting cmpilato@collab.net:
>>

>>>2.  Move some stuff from svnadmin into either svnlook or the
>>>bitbucket:
>>>
>>>    svnadmin youngest ==> svnlook youngest
>>>    svnadmin lscr ==> svnlook lscr
>>>    svnadmin lsrevs ==> /dev/null
>>>    svnadmin setlog ==> /dev/null (we can do this 'svn' now)
>>>    svnadmin lstxns
>>>

>>Hm. If you kill lstxns, then where do you get input for rmtxns? Removing stale
>>transactions should be a regular repository admin task.
>>

>That was a typo (I was bouncing around different editing windows while
>composing the mail ... oops).  It should have read:
>
>   svnadmin lstxns ==> lose the '--long' support

Aha! In that case, +1.

Re: svnlook/svnadmin proposal.

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
brane@xbc.nu writes:

> Quoting cmpilato@collab.net:
>
> > 2.  Move some stuff from svnadmin into either svnlook or the
> > bitbucket:
> >
> >     svnadmin youngest ==> svnlook youngest
> >     svnadmin lscr ==> svnlook lscr
> >     svnadmin lsrevs ==> /dev/null
> >     svnadmin setlog ==> /dev/null (we can do this 'svn' now)
> >     svnadmin lstxns
>
> Hm. If you kill lstxns, then where do you get input for rmtxns? Removing stale
> transactions should be a regular repository admin task.

That was a typo (I was bouncing around different editing windows while
composing the mail ... oops).  It should have read:

   svnadmin lstxns ==> lose the '--long' support

Thanks, Brane.

Re: svnlook/svnadmin proposal.

Posted by br...@xbc.nu.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
--On Friday, November 8, 2002 7:08 AM -0600 Ben Collins-Sussman
<su...@collab.net> wrote:

>> 2.  Move some stuff from svnadmin into either svnlook or the
>> bitbucket:
>>
>>     svnadmin youngest ==> svnlook youngest
>>     svnadmin lscr ==> svnlook lscr
>>     svnadmin lsrevs ==> /dev/null
>
> Kill lsrevs?  Really?  I use it for debugging way more often than
> 'svnadmin shell'.  Sometimes it's nicer to see the node-ids laid
> out in a tree, rather than poking around interactively.  I don't
> wanna see it die, or 'lstxns' either, since 'rmtxns' is important
> too.

I'm with Ben on this.  'svnlook lsrevs' should live.  -- justin

Re: svnlook/svnadmin proposal.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> writes:

> cmpilato@collab.net writes:
> > > -1.  An administrator should be able to tweak a log message *without*
> > >      having to set up a pre-commit hook in the repository.
> >
> > Yeah, that's cool.  I'm sold.
>
> Agree that 'svnadmin setlog' should stay, but why would a pre-commit
> hook be required if one were going through an RA layer?

Pre-revprop-change hook, I mean.  Remember?  We designed the feature
"off" from the outset, since it's a potentially dangerous feature.  So
an admin has to manually create the hook to allow propsets from the
client.

Re: svnlook/svnadmin proposal.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
"Sander Striker" <st...@apache.org> writes:
> > Agree that 'svnadmin setlog' should stay, but why would a pre-commit
> > hook be required if one were going through an RA layer?
>
> Because the default security policy is to deny it.  The pre-commit
> hook for revprops needs to return an ok for it to succeed.

Oh, right -- I forgot about that policy (but it makes sense).

Thanks,
-K

> > > -1.  An administrator should be able to tweak a log message *without*
> > >      having to set up a pre-commit hook in the repository.
> >
> > Yeah, that's cool.  I'm sold.
>
> Agree that 'svnadmin setlog' should stay, but why would a pre-commit
> hook be required if one were going through an RA layer?

Because the default security policy is to deny it.  The pre-commit
hook for revprops needs to return an ok for it to succeed.

Sander

Re: svnlook/svnadmin proposal.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.

Posted by Nuutti Kotivuori <na...@iki.fi>.
cmpilato@collab.net wrote:
>>>     svnadmin setlog ==> /dev/null (we can do this 'svn' now)
>>
>> -1.  An administrator should be able to tweak a log message
>> *without* having to set up a pre-commit hook in the repository.
>
> Yeah, that's cool.  I'm sold.

Administrator should be able to tweak all revision properties without
having to set up a pre-commit hook in the repository, right? It makes
sense allowing the adminstrator to set log messages but not authors or
dates.

So how about svnadmin setrevprop or something?

-- Naked

Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:

> > 2.  Move some stuff from svnadmin into either svnlook or the bitbucket:
> >
> >     svnadmin youngest ==> svnlook youngest
> >     svnadmin lscr ==> svnlook lscr
> >     svnadmin lsrevs ==> /dev/null
>
> Kill lsrevs?  Really?  I use it for debugging way more often than
> 'svnadmin shell'.  Sometimes it's nicer to see the node-ids laid out in
> a tree, rather than poking around interactively.  I don't wanna see it
> die, or 'lstxns' either, since 'rmtxns' is important too.

svnlook ids repos -t txnname.  And lstxns can stay, just
without the super-verbose --long version.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
cmpilato@collab.net writes:

> 1.  Fix svnlook's syntax (using the option parsing code) to be
>     consistent with svnadmin's.

Cool.