Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by dhiraj sardana <d....@gmail.com> on 2018/10/02 13:26:09 UTC

Getting topic offset for given timestamp | GetOffsetShell is not working|KAFKA-1.1.1

Hello All,

I wanted to check offset for given timestamp via *shell command*, so i
checked 'GetOffsetShell' for that purpose, but its not working properly.

bin/kafka-run-class.sh kafka.tools.GetOffsetShell --broker-list
localhost:9092 --topic test_kafka --time *1538470622047*

test_kafka:0:

While It's working fine for -1/-2 (latest/begninning) time parameters:
test_kafka:0:28
test_kafka:0:0

I checked in another tab,  there are so many messages before/after this
timestamp(i tried different other timestamps as well).
bin/kafka-console-consumer.sh --bootstrap-server localhost:9092 --topic
test_kafka --property print.timestamp=true --from-beginning
CreateTime:1538470621404    asdas
CreateTime:*1538470622047*    asdasd
CreateTime:1538470622824    asdasd

Also, for same timestamp, if i try consumer's JAVA API(
*consumer.offsetsForTimes(topicPartitionTimeMap)*), it worked fine and
returned the offset.

So, if any pointers to fix 'GetOffsetShell'(if i am missing something)
Or to run above working 'offsetsForTimes' API via shell command
Or any other way to get offset for given timestamp from shell commands?

Thanks for reading and helping!

Regards,
Dhiraj

Re: Getting topic offset for given timestamp | GetOffsetShell is not working|KAFKA-1.1.1

Posted by Manikumar <ma...@gmail.com>.
Kafka 1.1.1 release GetOffsetShell uses scala consumer client to fetch
offsets. looks like some issue while fetching offsets for a given timestamp.
You can try using Kafka 2.0 release GetOffsetShell tool to fetch offstes
from 1.1.1 cluster.