Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net> on 2003/12/13 23:19:50 UTC

A couple of suggestions for useful projects involving the build

Two things that would IMO be quite useful, but may involve significant
familiarity with maven, are:

1. With a lot of luck, xdoclet 1.2 will be released very soon.  I
wonder if our xdoclet goals in etc/maven.xml can be replaced with use
of the maven xdoclet plugin. If you want to try it out, I can point you
to a release candidate for xdoclet 1.2.

Alternatively, writing whatever is necessary to use xdoclet2 instead is
a solution with more of a future than continuing with xdoclet 1.x.

2. Currently the version information for dependencies is scattered
through all the module project.xml files.  This is clearly
unmaintainable.  It is possible to replace <version>1.2.x.y</version>
with <version>${whatever.version}</version> and define whatever.version
in that module's project.properties file, but this doesn't help much,
since you still have one copy per module.  Maven appears to claim that
property inheritance ought to work, but it doesn't as of 1.0 rc1. (cf.
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listId=149&msgNo=5010  The
suggestion there of setting the values by j:set in the parent maven.xml
doesn't work for info needed in the dependencies listed in the
project.xml file, since these dependencies seem to be evaluated before
maven.xml) So, this project has two parts:
a. find a way to centralize properties, such as by fixing maven.
b. centralize the dependency versions.

thanks
david jencks