Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Salman Mahmood <sa...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/01 12:45:58 UTC

Using mahout for pre-defined clusters

Hi all,

I am new to mahout and have recently grasped how we can run mahout
clustering algorithms on documents. I was wondring if it's possible to
generate pre-defined clusters from news data. Heres what I am doing:

I have a set of documents of news data containing news about a lot of
entities.

I want to create clusters that represent what company the news belong to.
e.g if the news says "Apple launches new iphone" , I want this to be in the
Apple cluster. similarly if the news says "Microsoft share prices raises by
10%" I want it to be in the Microsoft cluster. I have a list of all the
cluster names and I want to process the  news inorder to assign it to a
particular cluster. Is this something I can do using mahout?

Thanks!

Re: Using mahout for pre-defined clusters

Posted by Salman Mahmood <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Biju,

Thankyou for the response. Yea it could be a classification. Anyways gonna
change my question.

Posted by Biju Balakrishnan <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi salman,