Posted to dev@shiro.apache.org by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org> on 2016/06/28 00:03:34 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Community Update: Working on 1.3 Release + Dedicated Shiro Staff

Hi Apache Shiro Community!

I know it has been a while since we last had a public community
announcement, and things have been very quiet due to Shiro's mostly-stable
status (with some minor exceptions the last few months).  That said, you
may have noticed a whole bunch of Shiro activity recently - Shiro JIRA
emails, confluence activity, etc., and this is due to some new very
exciting news.

I'm proud to announce that Brian Demers, a long-time existing Shiro team
member and committer, has decided to join us here at Stormpath in a full
time position.  With this role, Stormpath will be investing in the Shiro
project and its community with a full time resource!

Until now, Shiro has been fostered and supported with much love by the
Apache Shiro dev team over the years, but only as part-time engineers.  We
have always had full-time day jobs and couldn't dedicate 100% of our time
to it.  But at least now in Brian's case, he gets to spend all of his work
time on it too (and I'm jealous! :) ).

What is Brian going to be doing?

One of Brian's first projects as a Stormpath employee will be to help clean
up the existing Shiro JIRA backlog, specifically issues with patches that
have been sitting for a while, and get a 1.3 release out. If there is a
particular issue or patch you have been working around for a while please
let the dev team know.

Beyond that, Brian will be working towards the Shiro 2.0 release, as well
as supporting the community with educational content and upgrading the
Shiro website.

What does this mean for the Apache Shiro project?

For all intents and purposes, it means more help, better support and
getting Apache 2.0 out the door faster.  Like all Apache projects, Shiro
will *always* be run "The Apache Way" - it is a meritocracy and each Apache
Shiro committee member will continue to manage Apache Shiro the same way we
have since project inception.  Stormpath just sees Shiro as a complementary
technology that helps Stormpath customers, so it was a natural fit for us
to hire someone to help with Shiro full-time.  It is no different than,
say, the many IBM employees that are full-time employees dedicated to other
Apache projects (e.g. like Tomcat).

Additionally, Stormpath has no plans to make a 'commercial' version of
Shiro - so don't worry about that.  All Shiro work will be 100% open and
contributed back to the community under the Apache 2.0 license (again, as
we've always done).

So, in summary, there is *no* change to Shiro, its team, its management, or
its community other than getting dedicated, full-time help! :)

Please join me in welcoming Brian to Stormpath and thank him for stepping
up to the challenge!

Les

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Community Update: Working on 1.3 Release + Dedicated Shiro Staff

Posted by Brian Demers <br...@gmail.com>.
Thanks everyone!

Posted by Joachim Kanbach <jo...@gmx.de>.

Posted by scSynergy <ro...@scsynergy.de>.
Cool, that certainly is good news.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Community Update: Working on 1.3 Release + Dedicated Shiro Staff

Posted by Bart van Leeuwen <ba...@netage.nl>.
Excellent news!

Especially updates on documentation and samples would be greatly
appreciated!

Met Vriendelijke Groet / With Kind Regards
Bart van Leeuwen

# twitter: @semanticfire
# netage.nl
# http://netage.nl