Posted to user@struts.apache.org by santosh gokak <sa...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/25 09:00:37 UTC

Bug 2957 - tiles insert is throwing null pointer exception

I am hitting the bug https://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/STR-2957 (
tiles insert is throwing null pointer exception when invoking from
nested insert Tag.)
I am using struts 1.2.9 release.
Any body is planned to take up this bug?

Re: Bug 2957 - tiles insert is throwing null pointer exception

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2008/2/25, santosh gokak <sa...@gmail.com>:

> Thanks for getting me started.
> I have the 1.2.9 source along with me.
> do you know the reason of this NPE been thrown?
> I too would debug and try to find it.
> I have also registered and voted for the bug :)

Ok sorry for the "too-fast" answer.
The reason for not fixing this bugs outselves is the fact that Tiles 2
exists:
http://tiles.apache.org/
and that the Tiles 1 bug can be circumvented (most probably you have a
<tiles:insert> that is not bound to any attribute value).
So you have three options:
1) since you are using JSF and not Struts, migrate to Tiles 2 (best option
IMHO);
2) create a patch (I don't know how to fix it, download the source from the
svn trunk);
3) stick with the bug, that can be fixed on your code.

Sorry for this.
Antonio

Re: Bug 2957 - tiles insert is throwing null pointer exception

Posted by santosh gokak <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Antonio,

Thanks for getting me started.
I have the 1.2.9 source along with me.
do you know the reason of this NPE been thrown?
I too would debug and try to find it.
I have also registered and voted for the bug :)

~Santosh

--
Santosh G Gokak

Re: Bug 2957 - tiles insert is throwing null pointer exception

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2008/2/26, santosh gokak <sa...@gmail.com>:

> 1) since you are using JSF and not Struts, migrate to Tiles 2 (best option
> IMHO);
>
> >>I am using struts 1.2.9.Is it possible to move to tiles 2 with this
> version?

Uh! I am very sorry, I don't know where I read that you use JSF :-O
Anyway, you can migrate as long as you don't use Struts-Tiles glue code,
such as forwarding to a Tiles definition and using a Struts action as a
controller (called "preparer" in Tiles 2).

3) stick with the bug, that can be fixed on your code.

> >>any suggestions :)

This problem happens when some of the attributes are not filled. You should
check them out to see which is failing.
We can help you in this case: post your interesting parts of
tiles-defs.xmland JSP pages and we will try it.

Ciao
Antonio

Re: Bug 2957 - tiles insert is throwing null pointer exception

Posted by santosh gokak <sa...@gmail.com>.

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 8:37 PM, Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- "India, Rose (http://[REDACTED])" wrote:
>  > What actually you want to know?
>  > If you are looking for Jakarta Struts Tutorial then see the
>  >
>  > Jakarta Struts Tutorial & resources
>  > http://[REDACTED]
>
>  That wasn't even *close*.
>
>  At least the other ones were vaguely related to the question being asked.
>
>  Dave

Santosh G Gokak

RE: Bug 2957 - tiles insert is throwing null pointer exception

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "Rose India (http://www.roseindia.net)" <ab...@roseindiatechnologies.com>.
Hi

What actually you want to know?
If you are looking for Jakarta Struts Tutorial then see the

Jakarta Struts Tutorial & resources
http://www.roseindia.net/struts/

Best regards
Meeya Roy

Re: Bug 2957 - tiles insert is throwing null pointer exception

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by santosh gokak <sa...@gmail.com>.
Can you suggest me how to?

--
Santosh G Gokak

Re: Bug 2957 - tiles insert is throwing null pointer exception

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.