Posted to users@maven.apache.org by offbyone <ry...@iridiumsuite.com> on 2011/05/03 22:05:07 UTC

multiple project builds

I am developing an extremely large project that has a separate build
procedure for the client and the server.  Currently, the project is one
large project.  I am currently using Ant, but would like to embrace maven.

I understand that the "maven way" is to have a separate project per build,
but I am finding this very difficult to do since the code is fairly
intertwined.  It will be very difficult if even possible for me to
completely separate the client code from the server code.  This intertwined
dependency was a design decision which has resulted in code reuse.  So I
don't see this as a bad design.

I would really like to use maven, so what are my options?

Is there no way to specify 2 builds in a single project?

Re: multiple project builds

Posted by Alex Lopez <al...@flordeutopia.pt>.
You could check out the books freely available in sonatype website
(books section), maven reference and maven by example, these really
helped me a lot to understand whan a multi-module/reactor project is and
how to arrange a good structure for it (ie separate inheritance from
modularity etc)

Re: multiple project builds

Posted by Tommy Chheng <to...@gmail.com>.
Check out

@tommychheng
http://tommy.chheng.com

Re: multiple project builds

Re: multiple project builds

Posted by Tommy Chheng <to...@gmail.com>.
Yes, you can still have a flat structure.

In app-server/etc, you can specify base-utillites/app-common as a dependency
xml block.

@tommychheng
http://tommy.chheng.com

Re: multiple project builds

Re: multiple project builds

Posted by Tommy Chheng <to...@gmail.com>.
I assume your client and server projects build separate JAR files?

If there are intertwined code, you can have:
 project-core
 project-server
 project-client

Both project-server/project-client can have a dependency on project-core

You can use parent POM or module poms to build
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1992213/maven-parent-pom-vs-modules-pom