Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Guy Katz <gk...@allot.com> on 2004/07/15 11:55:53 UTC

RE: can a virtual host have its own privatly used SSL certificate ?

thanks but are you sure?
i read some more and got the impression that when using apache+tomcat with
ip based virtual hosting this can be achieved.
did i misunderstood?
thanks

Posted by Viorel Dragomir <bc...@vio.ro>.
Hi,

As I know, in order to use ssl on the tomcat, or apache you must make additional configurations regarding the webserver. Add modules and changing webserver configuration files.

If you don't have the right to make this changes you can't have ssl.

If you find a example more usefull.. If you can write a cd with Nero but without the cd-writer I guess you can make your webserver works without ssl module but with ssl certificate.

Good luck,
viorel

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Guy Katz wrote:

> thanks but are you sure?

I'm sure.

> i read some more and got the impression that when using apache+tomcat with
> ip based virtual hosting this can be achieved.

The problem is that there can only be one certificate per listening port
that tomcat is listening on, and the certificate can only have one name
at a time (unless you use wildcard certs, but this is a special case).
There can be many virtual hosts per listening port, but only one
certificate, and the certificate can only have one name (at the moment)
- thus your problem.

:(

Regards,
Graham