Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Peter Neu <pe...@gmx.net> on 2006/06/06 14:57:21 UTC

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Hello,

I have many memory consuming apps on my tomcat server. I a lot pdf & excel
generation. So every other week I get this error

 java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

I know the root of this error is that the garbage collector does not clean
up and memory allocated

for java object generation is used up. But what can I do about it? If I
allocate more memory I'm only postponing

the problem. So do I have to shutdown every day my tomcat server to ensure
the deletion of unused objects or

Will only a tomcat cluster help in this case? I also read the archives but
could not find any useful explenation.

I defined max memory usage for 2 Gig with the Catalina_Opts variable in my
start script. CATALINA_OPTS="-Xmx2048m -Xms1536m"

Tomcat 5.5.9

Java 1.5.0_04-b05

SuSE Linux ES 9

Cheers,

Pete

SCHWERWIEGEND: Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor10" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor11" Exception in thread "TP-Processor1"
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor7" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor6" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor2" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor12" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor5" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor9" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor16" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor15" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor14" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor13" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor20" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor18" Exception in thread "TP-Processor19"
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor17" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor24" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor23" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor22" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor21" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor28" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor27" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor26" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor25" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor32" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor30" Exception in thread "TP-Processor29"
Exception in thread "TP-Processor31" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor36" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor35" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor34" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor33" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor39" Exception in thread "TP-Processor37"
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor40" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor38" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor44" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor43" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor41" Exception in thread "TP-Processor48"
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor42" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor46" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor47" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor45" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor52" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor51" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Exception in thread "TP-Processor50" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space

Re: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Posted by Christian Reichlin <ch...@kerbtier.ch>.
hi,

if you have a lot of different webapps with the same third party libs in
the WEB-INF/lib folder it might help if you move them to the shared/lib
folder. i recommend to put only the third party libs there, who are
definitely the same for all webapps, for example jdbc-driver and similar
things.

this helps because otherwise they are all loaded by a different
classloader so they all need for each webapp some permGen space.

does it needs some redeploys of webapps till the memory exception
ocures? in this case the class loader of the undeployed webapp can't be
garbage collected and all the classdefinitions remain in memory for
ever... or until tomcat is restarted.

regards
chris

Posted by Ingo Rockel <ir...@pironet-ndh.com>.
Hi,

--
PIRONET NDH AG
Dipl. Inf. Ingo Rockel - Produktentwicklung

Re: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Posted by William Bonnet <wi...@wbonnet.net>.
Hi

> I have many memory consuming apps on my tomcat server. I a lot pdf & excel
> generation. So every other week I get this error
>

>  java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Try to add more space for PermGen using

-XX:MaxPermSize=256m

I think default is 64 megs

Kind regards,

--
William Bonnet

SunWizard - Le site francais dédié aux amateurs de stations Unix
http://www.sunwizard.net

Re: AW: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Posted by Christian Reichlin <ch...@kerbtier.ch>.
> The problem whith PermGen space also occurs when I redeploy too often in a
> short amount of time. Does that point in any direction?

it points to the "class loader not released-problem" or at least to a
"class loader not released immediately-problem".

some more infos:
http://opensource.atlassian.com/confluence/spring/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=2669

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <br...@tariffenet.it>.