Posted to dev@rave.apache.org by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org> on 2011/05/26 23:32:58 UTC

First Release

Assuming we are still going for a June 15th release date (approximate), I
wanted to make sure the community is in agreement with what will be in
scope.  The following are the release notes prepared from JIRA.  Any
issues that are not yet resolved are noted with a -- prefix

Release Notes - Rave - Version 0.1-INCUBATING

** Technical task
  * [RAVE-14] - Create basic object model to support rendering of widgets
  * [RAVE-15] - Implement basic JPA persistence layer
  * [RAVE-16] - Create basic page rendering
  * [RAVE-17] - Implement OpenSocial/Shindig Common Container
  * [RAVE-18] - Implement basic user logon features
  * [RAVE-19] - Add gadget container-side hooks
--* [RAVE-20] - Implement container/shindig auth
--* [RAVE-27] - Implement User Prefs

** Story
--* [RAVE-12] - Render OpenSocial Gadgets on Page in iFrames
--* [RAVE-30] - Render W3C widgets on Page in iFrames
  * [RAVE-32] - Create basic widget repository
  * [RAVE-33] - Create the ability to move widgets on a page

We nee our mentors to help us through this process, but I *think* we need
the following before release:

* Finish outstanding issues or pull them out of scope for release
* Issue verification & closure (testing)
* License marking verification
* Dependency verification
* IP verification
* Wire up nexus for artifact release
* Hold a community vote
* Hold an IPMC vote

I plan on taking on the container/shindig auth piece next week, Jesse is
currently working on user prefs, and Ross is working on implementing the
call to Wookie to get the iFrame URL for the given context.  I think if we
don't have these issues completed by end of next week, we should pull them
from the 0.1 release and move forward.

We will need to get volunteers to test the various issues.  As we agreed
earlier, it is best if the person implementing the issue doesn't
test/close the issue.

As for the IPMC & license tasks, I don't know what our first steps are
supposed to be (although I am sure there is a guide I need to read).

Thoughts?

-Matt

Re: First Release

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 05/26/2011 11:32 PM, Franklin, Matthew B. wrote:
> * Dependency verification

We have a specific concern here with regard to our Shindig *-SNAPSHOT dependency...

We should not and cannot release while depending on a SNAPSHOT, the
maven-release-plugin AFAIK also will not allow that.

Looking at dev@shindig I don't see any indication of an upcoming (beta) release,
so we'll need to decide how to deal with this.

I think we have about two options here:
a) revert back to latest Shiding 2.0.2 release if feasible
a) ask Shindig if they can and will do a (beta) release any time soon

Note: a Shindig 3.0.0-beta1 tag exists but was never pushed/published to maven
repository. If a Shindig trunk (beta) release cannot be expected soon and
falling back to Shindig 2.0.2 isn't an option either (I haven't tested),
possibly we could request the Shindig team to just push/publish this 3.0.0-beta1
instead. That is, if that one would work for us.

Ate

Re: First Release

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 01/06/2011 11:36, Ate Douma wrote:
> Great stuff so far guys!

+1000

(appols for not doing the Wookie integration yet, it's still sitting in
a half finsihed state on my hard drive - hoping to find the time to
finish it soon, but don't let it block this release).

Ross

Re: First Release

Posted by "Zhenhua (Gerald) Guo" <je...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good.
I have committed code to fix gadget deletion bug.  Need others to test
it.  If it turns out to be fixed without incurring more bugs, just
close it.

Gerald

RE: Need some apache+maven advise Re: First Release

Posted by "Ciancetta, Jesse E." <jc...@mitre.org>.
>I also noticed the request from Jesse on the Shindig dev@ list about a possible
>new beta2 release. Not seeing any responses to that, but I'd expect that'll
>won't happen overnight anyway. And it'll take days/weeks before they would
>have
>such a release prepared, voted and finally released...
>So, I'm not sure we can/want to wait on that, really.
>I haven't tried to downgrade Shindig to the latest release version, but how
>much
>do we actually need/depend on from Shindig 3.0 to get our 0.1 release
>working?
>If this is a blocker, we might simply be required to wait until a Shindig
>3.0-beta2 comes available before we can do our own release, which would be
>a pity :(
>So, can anyone investigate or explain how much we already are tied to Shindig
>3.0+?

Our dependency on Shindig 3.0 is for the common container JavaScript code they've been working on recently which is what we're currently using to generate our iframes and iframe url's for OpenSocial gadgets.  The common container supports other functions as well but right now we're not really using any of them.  If we were to downgrade to the last 2.0 release we'd need to add support somewhere (maybe in the OpenSocialWidgetRenderer) to generate the iframe url's and also support somewhere (maybe in our client side JS) to generate the iframes themselves and set their location to the generated url.

I think it would be pretty straight forward to do (especially right now since we aren't setting user preferences in the gadget rendering url's),  but we'd probably want to revert back to 3.0 right after our 0.1 release so we could continue to build on the common container base (and hope that the Shindig beta2 release would be ready by the time we're ready to do a 0.2 release of Rave).

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 06/07/2011 12:37 AM, Ate Douma wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently at the BerlinBuzzWords conference with an internet
> connection at my hotel so bad I barely manage to read email through
> webmail, nevermind trying to run svn up...
> However I'll try to get in sync tomorrow while at the conference and
> see if I can come up with an easy solution for a binary/demo package
> build.
> AFAIK this should be relatively easy to automate using cargo:package,
> possibly combined with a maven assembly configuration.

Just a quick update:
Running mvn cargo:configure && mvn cargo:package from the rave-portal project
produces an *almost* ready to be used demo package (under target/package)
which we could package, with the obligatory README, NOTICE etc. files.
We also need to customize/modify the bin/catalina.sh to allocate more initial
memory because the default memory settings causing a PermGenSpace OOM error
immediately after startup :)
So, I think we could add a separate "dist" profile wich executes the above goals
and thereafter use a maven assembly configuration to produce the final
downloadable distrubtion archive with the needed other files added/modified.

I'll try to work on something later this evening or tomorrow evening (when I'm
back in the Netherlands). Right now my time is too limited.

Posted by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>.
On 6/6/11 6:37 PM, "Ate Douma" <at...@douma.nu> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm currently at the BerlinBuzzWords conference with an internet
>connection at my hotel so bad I barely manage to read email through
>webmail, nevermind trying to run svn up...
>However I'll try to get in sync tomorrow while at the conference and
>see if I can come up with an easy solution for a binary/demo package
>build.
>AFAIK this should be relatively easy to automate using cargo:package,
>possibly combined with a maven assembly configuration.
>
>More comments below.
>
>Regards,
>
>Ate
>
>On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 10:43 PM, Marlon Pierce <mp...@cs.indiana.edu>
>wrote:
>>
>> Definitely questions for Ate or another mentor/champion.
>>

>> Marlon
>>

>> On 6/6/11 2:50 PM, Franklin, Matthew B. wrote:
>>>
>>> On 6/1/11 2:36 PM, "Marlon Pierce" <mp...@cs.indiana.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't have strong opinions on source versus binary releases at this
>>> point, but I am wondering how they work.  For a source release, would
>>>we
>>> bundle up a tar/zip and put it on an Apache mirror or just tag it in
>>>SVN?
>>> For a binary release, would we just put up a WAR or would we package
>>> tomcat+rave+shindig-snapshot?  What other steps are
>>>required/recommended
>>> (zip/md5/pgp)?

>I doesn't work exactly like the above, for one: mvn release will
>deploy the artifacts to a temporary *staging* repository, which we
>then vote upon.

My commands above were meant to reflect a desire to automate the whole
process, from build to pushing to the staging repository, to scp for the
demo to the staging area of people.apache.org.  I am pretty inexperienced
with maven and didn't realize there was actually a mvn release goal :)

Even if it is a shell script, it seems to me that the more we can automate
and the less complicated we can make the release guide, the better off we
are.  Reading over the example you produced, it seems that bean validation
has a lot of room to automate most of their release process.  In the end,
it will just mean less time spent producing releases.

>In addition, if we produce a binary/demo artifact it probably won't be
>(easily) also be "released" to a maven repository (nor should it be
>IMO), so we should provide it as a separate download on a temporarily
>(informal) location, e.g. somewhere on people.apache.org.
>
>Once the vote is accepted (both by the Rave PMC and thereafter by the
>IPMC), we thereafter only need to "publish" the (Nexus) staging
>repository which then will be pushed/merged towards Maven central.
>Furthermore we then can/have to manually move the binary/demo download
>to the official incubator dist download area, send out the
>announcement and be done.
>
>If however the release is voted down, the staging repository will have
>to be "dropped" and the temporary binary/demo download removed, and we
>have to start working towards a fixed and acceptable 0.2 release (the
>0.1 version no longer can be "reused" once tagged and produced).

Got it.  Thanks.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Hi all,

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 06/06/2011 21:43, Marlon Pierce wrote:

> Definitely questions for Ate or another mentor/champion.

Sorry, I'm not a Maven person so will avoid this one (really I'm only
replying to let you know I'm still here despite having gone silent).

Ross

> Marlon
>

> On 6/6/11 2:50 PM, Franklin, Matthew B. wrote:
>>
>> On 6/1/11 2:36 PM, "Marlon Pierce"<mp...@cs.indiana.edu>  wrote:
>>
>> I don't have strong opinions on source versus binary releases at this
>> point, but I am wondering how they work.  For a source release, would we
>> bundle up a tar/zip and put it on an Apache mirror or just tag it in SVN?
>> For a binary release, would we just put up a WAR or would we package
>> tomcat+rave+shindig-snapshot?  What other steps are required/recommended
>> (zip/md5/pgp)?
>>
>>> I like the idea of packaging tomcat with the two war files so that you can
>>> just execute the tomcat start script.  If we think this is a good idea,
>>> can we wire this into a maven goal like release?  Could we also add
>>> anything required to push the release to the correct location on
>>> people.apache.org?  The more we can automate the better.  It would be nice
>>> to have a release guide that said something like:
>>
>>> 1) checkout the source
>>> 2) execute mvn stage
>>> 3) vote

Posted by Marlon Pierce <mp...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Re: First Release

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 6 Jun 2011, at 19:50, Franklin, Matthew B. wrote:

> On 6/1/11 2:36 PM, "Marlon Pierce" <mp...@cs.indiana.edu> wrote:

>> I don't have strong opinions on source versus binary releases at this
>> point, but I am wondering how they work.  For a source release, would we
>> bundle up a tar/zip and put it on an Apache mirror or just tag it in SVN?
>> For a binary release, would we just put up a WAR or would we package
>> tomcat+rave+shindig-snapshot?  What other steps are required/recommended
>> (zip/md5/pgp)?
>
> I like the idea of packaging tomcat with the two war files so that you can
> just execute the tomcat start script.  If we think this is a good idea,
> can we wire this into a maven goal like release?  Could we also add
> anything required to push the release to the correct location on
> people.apache.org?  The more we can automate the better.  It would be nice
> to have a release guide that said something like:
>
> 1) checkout the source
> 2) execute mvn stage
> 3) vote
> 4) execute mvn release
>
> :)

For Wookie we created a "standalone" download with embedded Derby DB and Jetty app server as well as the WAR and src versions. Apache Solr does something similar.

>> Having said that, I favor going through the full release steps for both
>> the binary and source.  This is early but it will make sure we understand
>> the process when things are further along.

+1

Making the release process as simple and as automated as possible will encourage more frequent releases.

Re: First Release

Posted by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>.

Re: First Release

Posted by Marlon Pierce <mp...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Re: First Release

Posted by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>.

Re: First Release

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Re: First Release

Posted by Marlon Pierce <mp...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Hi Ate, which comments?

Marlon

Re: First Release

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Matt, all,

I've taken the liberty to test drive the current Rave trunk extensively this
morning and AFAIK all basic features and JIRA issues which were marked as
"Resolved" seems to work just fine to me.
I already did a brief review of the code and test-cases, and although I must
admit I didn't have the time to go and review every single bit and line of code,
it seems pretty good (and clean) to me. Definitely cool and good enough for our
first (incubating) release.

So I simply closed all resolved issues :)
Of course, if someone knows about or encounters issues with them which should be
fixed before the 0.1-INCUBATING release, just reopen them.
Otherwise I suggest creating a new issue which can be picked up again and fixed
after the release.

Great stuff so far guys!

Re: First Release

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.