Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Magnus Mueller <m....@orgafactory.de> on 2001/03/06 17:47:07 UTC

controlling the lifecycle of servlets ??

Running a website with more than 1.000 pages - each becoming a servlet by
using a JSP-Template - we are facing the following problem:

The reserved JVM-memory (mx512m + ms512m on a 1280 MB W2k-Server) is running
short very soon after about 30 - 45 min.). The only way we see by now to
free memory is to restart the JSP-Engine.

The only solution we can imagine is to get rid of 'obsolete' or 'older'
servlets, but we have no idea of how to do this. Scanning several
JSP-Discussionlists we came to the conclusion that this is the task of the
JSP-engine itself, rather than doing it by garbage collection of the JVM or
calling servlet destroy methods.

We'd like to know wether your engine allows controlling the lifecycle of
servlets without restart? If so, how? E.g. is it possible to onload a
servlet that hasn't been requested for a given time period?

It would be fine to get some comments from you by mail.

Best regards

Magnus Müller

orgafactory gmbh
Hügelstraße 8