Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "emailitis.com" <in...@emailitis.com> on 2013/09/02 08:34:22 UTC

Image spam

We are getting a lot of Spam getting through which is a remote image and for
some reason is not being picked up by SA.  I have put them below with all
details, including the SA rules found and message details.  For ease, the
rules are all pasted below here also.

Are there others who have seen these and are preventing them getting
through?  Can you share how?

http://pastebin.com/SC9JSZSW

http://pastebin.com/qSxV47z2

http://pastebin.com/Ds0adR49

http://pastebin.com/HkNjdm5R

I have already tried to make some common rules score more but that does not
seem to be working.  In /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf we have put in the
following but I am not sure that these scores are in fact replacing the
default ones:

score URIBL_BLACK 3.5

score URIBL_DBL_SPAM 3

score T_REMOTE_IMAGE 3.5

score RCVD_IN_BRBL_LASTEXT 3.5

Many thanks, in advance, for any assistance that the gurus can offer.

Kind Regards,

Christoph

/root/weeklymail/Sunmaillog:Aug 31 11:11:05 plesk3 spamd[11160]: spamd:
result: . 0 -
BAYES_00,HTML_EXTRA_CLOSE,HTML_MESSAGE,LOCALPART_IN_SUBJECT,LOTS_OF_MONEY,RA
ZOR2_CHECK,RDNS_NONE
scantime=1.2,size=10587,user=qscand,uid=10124,required_score=5.0,rhost=local
host.localdomain,raddr=127.0.0.1,rport=35181,mid=<URL>,bayes=0.000002,autole
arn=no

/root/weeklymail/Sunmaillog:Aug 31 14:21:34 plesk3 spamd[27015]: spamd:
result: Y 5 -
BAYES_50,DIET_1,HTML_EXTRA_CLOSE,HTML_IMAGE_RATIO_08,HTML_MESSAGE,LOTS_OF_MO
NEY,RDNS_NONE,T_REMOTE_IMAGE
scantime=2.1,size=9289,user=qscand,uid=10124,required_score=5.0,rhost=localh
ost.localdomain,raddr=127.0.0.1,rport=54771,mid=<URL
<ma...@hmv4drc.sheikargemamai.com>
>,bayes=0.480496,autolearn=no

/root/weeklymail/Sunmaillog:Aug 31 16:07:21 plesk3 spamd[12813]: spamd:
result: . 4 -
BAYES_20,HTML_EXTRA_CLOSE,HTML_IMAGE_RATIO_08,HTML_MESSAGE,RDNS_NONE,T_REMOT
E_IMAGE
scantime=1.1,size=8535,user=qscand,uid=10124,required_score=5.0,rhost=localh
ost.localdomain,raddr=127.0.0.1,rport=44411,mid=<URL
<ma...@3nmrx8.spakerhmoner.com>
>,bayes=0.087335,autolearn=no

                /root/weeklymail/Sunmaillog:Aug 31 18:07:59 plesk3
spamd[12813]: spamd: result: . 1 -
BAYES_50,HTML_EXTRA_CLOSE,HTML_MESSAGE,LOTS_OF_MONEY,RDNS_NONE
scantime=1.4,size=7946,user=qscand,uid=10124,required_score=5.0,rhost=localh
ost.localdomain,raddr=127.0.0.1,rport=45934,mid=<URL
<ma...@mdi9hj1.tyttacekory.com>

RE: Image spam

Posted by "emailitis.com" <in...@emailitis.com>.
Thanks John,

> Standard Bayes questions:
>
> How do you train? Manually, automatically, or both?
Automatically.  Recently I am manually training on Spam that I receive to
about 10 email addresses of our own like the ones shown but not sure how
much difference that is making.  I THINK I used to get even more BAYES_00 so
maybe it is working.  But some Spam-heavy mailboxes are not ours and we
would not be able to train the owner how to do the training.  And I have
been doing only Spam, not Ham, training.
I expect that in the dim and distant past, we did not do as much

> If you train manually, who contributes? Are the contributions reviewed
prior
> to training?
>
> Do you retain your manual training corpus to review, and for initial
retraining
> if Bayes goes completely off the rails?
Not sure how easily we could make it for our clients to assist with manual
training - I suspect they would not have the time or knowledge or
inclination so to do.

> Do you retain your manual training corpus to review, and for initial
retraining
> if Bayes goes completely off the rails?
No, we do not have this sadly.  In the past we only ever let SA do the
automatic training so I guess it was not perfect.  But even with a re-train
I am not sure how we could capture emails being sent to clients which are
Spam.

> Non-Bayes questions: are you using greylisting? It really cuts down on the
> garbage. Are you doing MTA SMTP-time DNSBL filtering using ZEN? It's very
> reliable and appears to have ~30% spam-only overlap with
> __REMOTE_IMAGE.
No, we cancelled it because the delay was causing some issues but we will
look to re-activating that.

> Suggestion: a meta of __REMOTE_IMAGE and LOTS_OF_MONEY might help,
> assuming you don't have a lot of ham that hits both rules.
Thank you for that suggestion which I will put in place.  Only one today
that met both criteria and that was Spam!  And it got through with a score
of 4.2!

Kind regards,
Christoph

(SpaceX)