Posted to user@aries.apache.org by Matt Madhavan <ma...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/03 00:58:09 UTC

Debugging OSGi bundles(Feliix vs Karaf) and PaxExam

Hello,
I have seen couple of email threads on this topic. But did not really get a
definitive answer.

Currently we do not use Karaf. We use Felix and other related bundles via
pax runner. I have seen recommendations about using Karaf. Why cannot I just
start the Felix container in debug via mvn pax:provision and do a remote
debug? What do I get out of Karaf that I donot get from Felix and its
webconsole (started using pax web and jetty etc).

Also when using PaxExam (2.x.x), if I'm using the third type "lesson-junit"
my understanding is that:

   1. I cannot use Native Container
   2. And so I can only do remote debugging.

Please let me know if my understanding is OK!

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Re: Debugging OSGi bundles(Feliix vs Karaf) and PaxExam

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Matt,

well I think, EIK can be found on [1].
Though I don't know the state it's in.
Last time I did take a look at it, and that's very long ago.
I wasn't able to get it running.

One thing about debugging :-)
It's quite easy to debug with Karaf (even remote) or develop with it.
Just to give you a quick impression.

Start your Karaf with karaf -debug it'll start Karaf wich will
be able to be debugged remotely on port 5005.

The next thing in the Karaf shell just do a

osgi:install -s mvn:your.group.id/your.artifact.id/your.version

which returns the bundle id of your newly installed bundle.

now do a dev:watch bundle-id (the id you just got) and
karaf will update your bundle everytime you build it.

Now you just need to do a mvn clean install (on commandline or with
maven eclipse plugin)
and you can do some happy developing.
If you need to do some debugging just attach to the karaf when needed.
There is no need to stop Karaf while doing your "re-deployments" ;)

Regards, Achim

[1] - http://code.google.com/a/eclipselabs.org/p/eik/

OPS4J Pax Web<http://wiki.ops4j.org/display/paxweb/Pax+Web/>    Committer&  Project Lead

Posted by Matt Madhavan <ma...@gmail.com>.
HI Achim,

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Matt,

Posted by Matt Madhavan <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andreas,

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
Hey Matt,

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 04:14, Matt Madhavan <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Than you very much for the reply!

Still, I don't like making advertisment on other lists. I always feel like a

Posted by Matt Madhavan <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andreas,
Than you very much for the reply! I appreciate it. Can you point me to some

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
Hey Matt,

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
Hey Matt,