Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by John Roesler <jo...@confluent.io> on 2019/11/06 17:25:47 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-513: Distinguish between Key and Value serdes in scala wrapper library for kafka streams

Hey Mykhailo,

I just wanted to let you know that I'm looking at your proposal, but
it'll take me a little while to re-activate the Scala part of my
brain.

For everyone's benefit, here's the link to the KIP:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-513%3A+Distinguish+between+Key+and+Value+serdes+in+scala+wrapper+library+for+kafka+streams

Thanks for starting this discussion!
-John

Posted by John Roesler <jo...@confluent.io>.
Hi Mykhailo,

I've been mulling over your KIP today. I think that what you're
proposing makes sense. I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head
around the exact problem with the current API, though...

It sounds like you're saying that you want to have different key and
value serdes for the same type, which is not possible in conjunction
with implicitly substituted serdes. (Because there's no way to express
at the type level whether the serde is for keys or not). I guess what
I'm struggling with is why you actually want to have different key and
serdes for the same type. Maybe this is not relevant to the proposal
itself, but I think it would help with the cost/benefit analysis,
especially since the proposal would change approx. every method in the
streams-scala DSL.

I do have some concrete questions, but I'd rather hold onto them until
I feel like I understand the situation.

Thanks again!
-John