Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Dominic Brügger <br...@puzzle.ch> on 2006/03/01 10:53:58 UTC

SVG scaling in RTF using fop-0.91beta

Hi

With version 0.91beta SVG support in RTF output was added to FOP.  I
encountered that the SVG elements get scaled down whereas the text stays
at the original size. As you can see in the attachet example the graphic
is quite disturbed in RTF output whereas it looks perfect in the PDF output.

- Is this a known issue?
- Would it be a hard job to improve this in FOP?

Regards

Dominic

Re: SVG scaling in RTF using fop-0.91beta

Posted by Dominic Brügger <br...@puzzle.ch>.
Thanks a lot.

As I am not familiar with the FOP code it might be quite a big task for
me to pursue this. If we will need a better resolution I will see if I
can help, but for the moment we can live with the fixed version...

Regards

Dominic

Jeremias Maerki wrote:

>I've just disabled the resolution setting in SVGConverter which is
>responsible to convert an SVG image into a bitmap for the RTF output.
>That should fix the font size mismatch but the image will now be
>rendered at 72dpi which means you only get poor quality.
>
>http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs?rev=382317&view=rev
>
>I'm not sure how to properly fix this at the moment. For the PDF and
>PostScript transcoders we distiguished two settings: a source resolution
>(which should remain 72dpi in your case so the fonts get scaled
>correctly) and a target/device resolution which tells the generator at
>what resolution the image should be generated. I think the image
>transcoders from Batik lack a setting like that. We first need to ask
>the Batik people how best to do this. Maybe we even need to do a change
>in Batik to get this resolved. Do you want to pursue this? If not I can
>do it, but then it'll have to wait a little.
>
>On 01.03.2006 10:53:58 Dominic Brügger wrote:
>

>>Hi
>>
>>With version 0.91beta SVG support in RTF output was added to FOP.  I
>>encountered that the SVG elements get scaled down whereas the text stays
>>at the original size. As you can see in the attachet example the graphic
>>is quite disturbed in RTF output whereas it looks perfect in the PDF output.
>>
>>- Is this a known issue?
>>- Would it be a hard job to improve this in FOP?
>>
>>Regards
>>
>>Dominic
>>

>Jeremias Maerki

Dominic Brügger
Software-Ingenieur

WIR SIND UMGEZOGEN und
haben eine neue Adresse
sowie neue Telefonnummern:

Puzzle ITC GmbH
Eigerplatz 4
CH-3007 Bern

Telefon +41 31 370 22 00
Direkt  +41 31 370 22 13
Mobile  +41 79 740 99 03
Fax     +41 31 370 22 01

www.puzzle.ch

Re: SVG scaling in RTF using fop-0.91beta

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
I've just disabled the resolution setting in SVGConverter which is
responsible to convert an SVG image into a bitmap for the RTF output.
That should fix the font size mismatch but the image will now be
rendered at 72dpi which means you only get poor quality.

I'm not sure how to properly fix this at the moment. For the PDF and
PostScript transcoders we distiguished two settings: a source resolution
(which should remain 72dpi in your case so the fonts get scaled
correctly) and a target/device resolution which tells the generator at
what resolution the image should be generated. I think the image
transcoders from Batik lack a setting like that. We first need to ask
the Batik people how best to do this. Maybe we even need to do a change
in Batik to get this resolved. Do you want to pursue this? If not I can
do it, but then it'll have to wait a little.

On 01.03.2006 10:53:58 Dominic Brügger wrote:
> Hi
>
> With version 0.91beta SVG support in RTF output was added to FOP.  I
> encountered that the SVG elements get scaled down whereas the text stays
> at the original size. As you can see in the attachet example the graphic
> is quite disturbed in RTF output whereas it looks perfect in the PDF output.
>
> - Is this a known issue?
> - Would it be a hard job to improve this in FOP?
>
> Regards
>
> Dominic

Jeremias Maerki