Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Garrett Fitzgerald <sa...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/18 19:01:44 UTC

Mixing SVN users and non-SVN users

We've set up SVN in our department, and things seem to be going pretty
well. We're working with a couple of smaller repositories containing
specialized utilities for the data we're working on. The two of us who
are working on this both have SVN access, and have the commit/update
cycle as well down as could be expected at this point.

Now, we're looking at putting our main utilities directory under SVN.
While Kelly and I will probably continue to work from our working
copies, we'd like everyone else in the department to be able to use a
shared location, as we do today. In addition, we'll probably have some
.DBF files stored up there that shouldn't be under SVN.

The fun part comes in here. I know that we can set a post-commit hook
to update the server with our changes -- can we set some kind of hook
that will bring back in changes that the other people make? Or do we
have to go up ourselves and manually commit from that directory every
now and then?

Re: Mixing SVN users and non-SVN users

Posted by Garrett Fitzgerald <sa...@gmail.com>.
On 8/18/06, Eric Hanchrow <of...@blarg.net> wrote:
> I'm not really sure what you're trying to do, but I suggest you read
> this anyway:
> http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#working copy-change-detection

http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#wc-change-detection seems to be
a better link.

"How do I detect adds, deletes, copies and renames in a working copy
after they've already happened?

You don't. It's a bad idea to try."

This does answers my question pretty well -- thanks for the pointer.

Re: Mixing SVN users and non-SVN users

Posted by Eric Hanchrow <of...@blarg.net>.
--
If you're trying to choose between two theories and one gives
you an excuse for being lazy, the other one is probably right.