Posted to dev@knox.apache.org by larry mccay <lm...@apache.org> on 2014/09/02 17:11:11 UTC

Installation of Demo Config a Manual Step in 0.5.0

All -

In order to describe the installation of a production deployment vs a demo
deployment, I would like to separate the out-of-the-box install from demo
setup.

Currently, when you unpack the knox archive, the conf directory includes a
couple artifacts that are demo specific and are not likely required for a
production install.

What I have in mind is to move those artifacts into a demo/conf directory
and describe the recursive copy of that directory into the actual conf
directory in order to deploy the demo.

Alternatively, when creating a production deployment, you would copy a
templates/topology.xml to the conf/topologies/{clustername}.xml file and
edit it to reflect the production environment details.

The templates/admin.xml would then be optionally copied to conf/topologies
as well.

Then for both types of deployments the creation of the master secret would
be done through the 'knoxcli.sh create-master' command.

Following that, the deployment is ready for start.

Unless someone has an objection to this approach, I will make the required
changes to the gateway-release module today.

Please let me know if this makes sense to you.

thanks,

--larry

Re: Installation of Demo Config a Manual Step in 0.5.0

Posted by larry mccay <la...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the questions.

Yes, that is exactly what I was proposing - I want to make it extremely
easy to copy without much chance for messing up:

cp -r demo/conf conf

is all that we would have to do.

We could move it under templates (samples aren't the same thing) and it
would look like:

cp -r templates/demo/conf conf
  or
cp -r templates/demo/sandbox/conf conf

There is a risk that they start the copy from the wrong directory and copy
a bunch of junk into the actual conf but we could also provide a demo
install script to help mitigate that.

The reason that I wasn't thinking to put it under templates earlier is that
they are really templates for production deployments but I can imagine
extending that scope to include demos as well.

FYI - I will also be adding a new template called topology.xml for use as
the production template rather than sample.xml.

It is a bit unruly in that directory now and I think that we probably
should provide some tooling to help with the more complicated
configurations at some point. I would love to have a shell where you add
providers and services interactively and end it with a save as template or
deploy command. I also think that actual templating with files in that
directory would be great. IMHO, all of that needs some more thought and
attention before a 1.0 release.

Would you rather we put the demo into the templates directory?

Posted by Kevin Minder <ke...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE