Posted to dev@rave.apache.org by "Caprio, Remko (ELS-NYC)" <R....@elsevier.com> on 2011/05/12 05:26:52 UTC

Introducing myself: Academic Common Extensions (ACE)

Dear members,

I subscribed recently to these groups and want to offer a brief
introduction, hoping some of you will share my interest.

Academic Common Extensions (ACE)

In my contacts with academic developers I have come across many
different initiatives from researchers  and developers at academic
institutions who implement an OpenSocial container for a range of
academic projects. Many of these share common ground among each other or
across the OpenSocial spec, and this aspect of shared functionality in a
certain industry is itself again common for different domains. My
objective with ACE is to explore what common solutions I can create that
facilitate these common functionalities as Common Extensions.

E.g. Typically academic initiatives will facilitate academic profiles,
publications, research funding activities, academic applications,
application citations (citation standard as an extension of
gadget/widget xml), etc.

My background

I have 10 years Java server side and web application development
experience (Yale University, hedge fund, in-game advertising and
Microsoft) and recently got involved with OpenSocial. SciVerse is an
extension of Shindig for Elsevier products (roughly 25% of the worlds
Science, Technology and Medical (STM) publications, the world's largest
citation and abstract database with a user base of 15 million global
researchers).

So with this perspective I hope to get involved in some of the
discussion and I would be very excited to hear from people with interest
in this angle.

Cheers,

Remko Caprio

Apps for Science Challenge - Elsevier offers $35,000 in prizes and
challenges software

developers to collaborate with librarians and researchers to develop the
best apps

and enhance customer experience. See for more details and eligibility
http://AppsForScience.com <http://appsforscience.com/> .

  <http://appsforscience.com/>

Re: Introducing myself: Academic Common Extensions (ACE)

Posted by Evgeny Bogdanov <ev...@epfl.ch>.
Hello Remko,

I do not know the reasons, but it's a pity that countries like
Switzerland, France, Spain are excluded from the competition.
We would be happy to participate with remote labs experimentation
applications, but we can't :(

Best
Evgeny

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Hi Remko,

Welcome to the Wookie project. I'm Ross Gardler, I was supposed to be
having dinner with you the other night but was unable to make it. I hope
you had a good time with my colleague Sander.

I look forward to working with you here.

Ross

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Hi Remko,

Welcome to the Rave project. I'm Ross Gardler, I was supposed to be