Posted to announce@apache.org by larry mccay <lm...@apache.org> on 2017/05/26 18:26:44 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] CVE-2017-5646: Apache Knox Impersonation Issue for WebHDFS

CVE-2017-5646: Apache Knox Impersonation Issue for WebHDFS

Severity: Important

Vendor:
The Apache Software Foundation

Versions Affected:
    All versions of Apache Knox prior to 0.12.0

An authenticated user may use a specially crafted URL to impersonate another
user while accessing WebHDFS through Apache Knox. This may result in
escalated
privileges and unauthorized data access. While this activity is audit logged
and can be easily associated with the authenticated user, this is still a
serious security issue.

Mitigation:
  All users are recommended to upgrade to Apache Knox 0.12.0,
  where validation, scrubbing and logging of such attempts has been added.

The Apache Knox 0.12.0 release can be downloaded from:
Source: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/knox/0.12.0/knox-0.12.0-src.zip
Binary: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/knox/0.12.0/knox-0.12.0.zip

Re: [ANNOUNCE] CVE-2017-5646: Apache Knox Impersonation Issue for WebHDFS

Posted by larry mccay <la...@gmail.com>.
Yes, Colm - I was thinking the same thing.
Need to add a separate page for this.
Thanks,

--larry

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: [ANNOUNCE] CVE-2017-5646: Apache Knox Impersonation Issue for WebHDFS

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
Hi Larry,