Posted to users@maven.apache.org by David Zeleznik <dz...@ilog.com> on 2003/04/25 14:45:07 UTC

Portable way to load another plugin and obtain its context

Hi,

I have been working on custom plugins for our internal development now since
b7. One issue that is not well supported, is how to force another plugin to
load so that its context and variable can be "grabbed" for reuse. For
example, in b8 I force the test plugin to load by attaining the
test:prepare-filesystem goal, which is mostly harmless. In b9, I notice that
the test plugin now has a special no-op tag added specifically so that the
eclipse plugin can execute the tag and load the plugin. Similarly, I have
been calling the maven-javadoc-plugin:register goal so that I can force the
javadoc plugin to load.

All this seems quite a hack to me, and is not very portable at that. Is
there (or can we imagine) some standard API that would load a requested
plugin, making its context available?

--------------------------------------
David Zeleznik
ILOG - Changing the rules of business
mailto:dzeleznik@ilog.com
http://www.ilog.com

Re: Portable way to load another plugin and obtain its context

Posted by Rafal Krzewski <Ra...@caltha.pl>.
David Zeleznik wrote:

> All this seems quite a hack to me, and is not very portable at that. Is
> there (or can we imagine) some standard API that would load a requested
> plugin, making its context available?

I agree. I think that maven-new will introduce more Object Oriented
Plugin/PluginManager API. Then you'll be able to do that in a
straightforward way.

R.