Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Jan Thomä <ko...@insomnia-hq.de> on 2008/04/21 21:32:20 UTC

Bundle update doesn't seem to have any effect

Hi,

i am starting up an embedded instance of felix. Inside that instance i
install and start a bundle. Now when i detect a change of the jar file that
this bundle was installed from, i call bundle.update() for the given bundle.
This restarts the bundle, however the code changes i made to the bundle
don't seem to be propagated == it still looks like the old classes are being
used. I also tried uninstalling the bundle and then reinstalling it, but
still the old classes were in use. I was under the impression that updating
the bundle should update the classes within that bundle and i actually need
this feature to minimize coding roundtrip times. So two questions:

1. is updating (or uninstalling/installing/starting) the bundle supposed to
update classes that are contained within the bundle?
2. If so, what could I have done wrong so that the classes are not updated?

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,
Jan

Re: Bundle update doesn't seem to have any effect

Posted by Jan Thomä <ko...@insomnia-hq.de>.
Richard, Karl,

thanks a lot, using the refreshPackages stuff works like a charm :)

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
I just added an FAQ for this question:

    http://cwiki.apache.org/FELIX/apache-felix-osgi-faq.html

-> richard

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
My guess would be that your bundle is exporting a package that is used
by a different bundle. In that case the old revision is still going to
hang around after an update/uninstall until the bundle is refreshed --
hence, try to refresh the bundle/framework.

You can refresh the bundle by using the
PackageAdmin.refreshPackages(new Bundle[]{bundle}); service method.
Use null as parameter to refresh all bundles pending a refresh in the
framework.

regards,

Karl

>  Hi,
>
>  i am starting up an embedded instance of felix. Inside that instance i
>  install and start a bundle. Now when i detect a change of the jar file that
>  this bundle was installed from, i call bundle.update() for the given bundle.
>  This restarts the bundle, however the code changes i made to the bundle
>  don't seem to be propagated == it still looks like the old classes are being
>  used. I also tried uninstalling the bundle and then reinstalling it, but
>  still the old classes were in use. I was under the impression that updating
>  the bundle should update the classes within that bundle and i actually need
>  this feature to minimize coding roundtrip times. So two questions:
>
>  1. is updating (or uninstalling/installing/starting) the bundle supposed to
>  update classes that are contained within the bundle?
>  2. If so, what could I have done wrong so that the classes are not updated?
>
>  Thank you for your help.
>

>  Best regards,
>  Jan
>  --