Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Umashanthi Pavalanathan <um...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/10 20:29:01 UTC

GSoC 2010 Project Idea -imple Social Networking for Roller blog server

Hello,

I would like to work on the project "Simple Social Networking for
Roller blog server" mentioned in [1]

Currently I am working on a project to integrate Open Social API to a
gadget container using Apache Shindig.

I spent quite some amount of time in studying about Open Social API
and Apache Shindig. As I think integrating the OpenSocial API to
Roller alone requires quite a lot of work. If it is integrated, then
we can easily build the other features mentioned in the project idea
(i.e: about Activities etc).

My simplified project idea is to initially work on the Open Social integration.

So, will it be a good project idea to start with Open Social API
integration to Roller and then building the other features if the
scope is suitable for a GSoC project?

Since I have being involved in similar project and I have some idea
about Open Social API and Apache Shindig, I believe such a project
will suit me for GSoC 2010.

As I believe OpenSocial integration is an important feature for
Roller. Could you please share your thoughts about the importance of
this feature for Roller in current context?
As I know there are about five projects listed for Roller last time
and none of them get done at GSoC. Is it because of the importance of
the project ideas of other ASF projects?

If the community agree with this idea, will you be able to propose
this idea to google or do I need to propose this to ASF or somebody
else?
What is the procedure takes place at ASF?

Other than this project idea, if you need some other important work to
be done for Roller, could you please let me know, so that I can look
at it.

I really want to participate at GSoC this time and hope that some
Roller projects will be in this time.

Thanks,
Umashanthi

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2009#roller

Re: GSoC 2010 Project Idea -imple Social Networking for Roller blog server

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
Roller should definitely participate in GSOC for 2010. I plan to
create some proposals and anybody reading this message is welcome to
make proposals too. I will apply to mentor 1 project and other Roller
committers can also volunteer (I think there is a limit of one project
per mentor).

In case you are not familiar with the program the idea is this: Google
will pay student developers to work on open source projects for
Google-approved mentoring organizations such as the ASF. Each ASF
project can submit student proposals, proposals are rated and then a
selection of proposals are chosen. I think there were about 40 funded
proposals from the ASF last year. See also http://code.google.com/soc

BTW, the OpenID support in Roller 5.0 was contributed by a GSOC student.

I think we still have time to put GSOC proposals together. The ASF is
just now applying to participate in GSOC and currently student
applications are not yet open.

More info about ASF and GSOC is here:
   http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEVxSITE/GSoC

Hope that helps...