Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> on 2012/11/19 23:02:33 UTC

Preference for a JUnit Coverage Tool?

Hi all,

Given our common agreement that we want to increase unit test coverage
in the project, I started down the path of trying to get a coverage
report generation process going.  Then I realized I should ask the
list if there is a preference for tools.

Does anyone have a preference?

I've looked at emma [1] and cobertura [2] so far.

-chip

[1] http://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails%7Cemma%7Cemma%7C2.1.5320%7Cjar
[2] http://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails%7Ccobertura%7Ccobertura%7C1.9rc1%7Cjar

RE: Preference for a JUnit Coverage Tool?

Posted by Sudha Ponnaganti <su...@citrix.com>.
I looked at sonar data few weeks ago and some of the critical issues can be looked at and that is useful data.
As we are early stages of releases, fixing these issues is taking lower priority.  I would vote to continue with it.

Regarding unit test coverage, I think the coverage is too low at this point. It doesn't hurt to implement coverage tool but data might not be that useful. If we have some external goal and if we run the tool once that goal is met, data can be used to improve coverage.

Note, I didn't maintained very well the sonar part
(https://analysis.apache.org) which is not really up2date.
Do we continue using that or not ?

--
Olivier Lamy
Talend: http://coders.talend.com

Re: Preference for a JUnit Coverage Tool?

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Edison Su <Ed...@citrix.com>.
How about clover? It says free for open source project(http://www.atlassian.com/software/clover/pricing)

Posted by Sudha Ponnaganti <su...@citrix.com>.
+1 for cobertura

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 5:02 PM, Chip Childers
<ch...@sungard.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Given our common agreement that we want to increase unit test coverage
> in the project, I started down the path of trying to get a coverage
> report generation process going.  Then I realized I should ask the
> list if there is a preference for tools.
>
> Does anyone have a preference?
>
> I've looked at emma [1] and cobertura [2] so far.
>
> -chip
>
> [1] http://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails%7Cemma%7Cemma%7C2.1.5320%7Cjar
> [2] http://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails%7Ccobertura%7Ccobertura%7C1.9rc1%7Cjar

Thanks for the input folks.  It looks like cobertura may be the best
bet, since it's available as a plugin on builds.a.o, as well as being
embedded in sonar.

Emma is pretty light weight, but doesn't look as active.  Clover is
great too, but isn't actually open source itself (and therefore would
require going through some hoops to get it up and running).

-chip

Re: Preference for a JUnit Coverage Tool?

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.
No preference

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.