Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jeremy Boynes <je...@coredevelopers.net> on 2004/06/22 06:40:26 UTC

Packaging prevents bundling deployer inside the server

I have been trying to build a configuration that can run as a child of
the J2EE Server config that contains the deployer code - this is
intended to allow someone to set up a server that can do its own
deployments.

I have a problem in that the deployment classes are packaged in with the
main runtime classes - for example, connector.deployment.* is in the
connector jar. These get loaded by the Server config's classloader and
hence can see deployment-only classes (e.g. xmlbeans) that are packaged
in with the deployment config.

I think the real solution for this is to split the deployment-only
classes out from the runtime jars into separate jars that can be bundled
with deployment configurations.

For now, I'm going to bug this and expand the Server config to include
all the dependencies needed to perform deployment.

Thoughts?
--
Jeremy

Re: Packaging prevents bundling deployer inside the server

Posted by David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net>.
On Monday, June 21, 2004, at 09:40 PM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> I have been trying to build a configuration that can run as a child of
> the J2EE Server config that contains the deployer code - this is
> intended to allow someone to set up a server that can do its own
> deployments.
>
> I have a problem in that the deployment classes are packaged in with
> the main runtime classes - for example, connector.deployment.* is in
> the connector jar. These get loaded by the Server config's classloader
> and hence can see deployment-only classes (e.g. xmlbeans) that are
> packaged in with the deployment config.
>
> I think the real solution for this is to split the deployment-only
> classes out from the runtime jars into separate jars that can be
> bundled with deployment configurations.

I agree. I wondered if this would turn into a problem...

I think the easiest way to fit this into maven is have more projects:
e.g. connector and connector-deployment

thanks
david jencks