Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Nelson Marques <nm...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/19 18:32:13 UTC

Apache OpenOffice RPMS

Dear all,

I've done beta upgrade to RHEL 6.3 yesterday and runned against a
problem, openoffice (one of the reasons why I subscribed RHEL) was
replaced by LibreOffice. I've picked up the archive with Apache
OpenOffice RPMS and set up a local repository to install Apache
OpenOffice. I've found a few problems:

 1) Vendor distributed LibreOffice has Epoch defined (1:), uncool
stuff (Red Hat should know to do better than this). This literally
creates a nightmare for less experienced users who want to install
Apache OpenOffice since a few components will always be replaced by
LibreOffice (ex: openoffice,org-ure) RPMs. The only way to override
this is to explicitly blacklist libreoffice in yum.conf (exclude:
libreoffice*).

I would suggest that Apache OpenOffice would distribute AAO RPMS with
Epoch defined to an absurd number... pretty much what Sun/Oracle do
with Java JDK which uses an epoch of 2000. This would most likely
obliterate bad practices from vendors which use Epoch.

According to a previous talk with someone who knows, once Epoch is
introduced in a package on Red Hat, it remains there till the end of
days... this to say... Unless you guys introduce some changes on
packaging the RPMs, vendors like Red Hat created an unholy mess for
their users who don't want to use LibreOffice.

Extra Questions:

 1) Is there a tarbal with pre-build binaries ? I would like to
repackage AOO to a more clean stuff for my personal usage (not
thinking on rebuilding it, though if it becomes necessary, not a
problem either).

 2) If 1) is possible, then I would like to create a few packages
localized for European Portuguese including post-treaty dictionaries
and pre-treaty (the ones I use) dictionaries.

Thanks,
NM

--
Nelson Marques
// I've stopped trying to understand sandwiches with a third piece of

Re: Apache OpenOffice RPMS

Posted by Nelson Marques <nm...@gmail.com>.
2012/5/19 Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>:
> Hi Nelson,
>
> On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 05:32:13PM +0100, Nelson Marques wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I've done beta upgrade to RHEL 6.3 yesterday and runned against a
>> problem, openoffice (one of the reasons why I subscribed RHEL) was
>> replaced by LibreOffice. I've picked up the archive with Apache
>> OpenOffice RPMS and set up a local repository to install Apache
>> OpenOffice. I've found a few problems:
>>
>>  1) Vendor distributed LibreOffice has Epoch defined (1:), uncool
>> stuff (Red Hat should know to do better than this). This literally
>> creates a nightmare for less experienced users who want to install
>> Apache OpenOffice since a few components will always be replaced by
>> LibreOffice (ex: openoffice,org-ure) RPMs. The only way to override
>> this is to explicitly blacklist libreoffice in yum.conf (exclude:
>> libreoffice*).
>
> This is a known issue since OpenOffice.org: you had to blacklist the
> distro version otherwise the URE package from the distro uninstalled
> upstream OOo. Now the same thing happends with LO.
>

>> I would suggest that Apache OpenOffice would distribute AAO RPMS with
>> Epoch defined to an absurd number... pretty much what Sun/Oracle do
>> with Java JDK which uses an epoch of 2000. This would most likely
>> obliterate bad practices from vendors which use Epoch.
>
> Not sure if this can be done without hacking EPM (the build environment
> does not use directly SPECs [expect for the desktop integration
> packages], but a program that generates the SPECs files).
>

>> According to a previous talk with someone who knows, once Epoch is
>> introduced in a package on Red Hat, it remains there till the end of
>> days... this to say... Unless you guys introduce some changes on
>> packaging the RPMs, vendors like Red Hat created an unholy mess for
>> their users who don't want to use LibreOffice.
>>

>> Extra Questions:
>>
>>  1) Is there a tarbal with pre-build binaries ? I would like to
>> repackage AOO to a more clean stuff for my personal usage (not
>> thinking on rebuilding it, though if it becomes necessary, not a
>> problem either).
>
> This can be generated by configuring with package format "installed":
> --with-package-format="installed rpm deb"
> but we have space problem to add even another package.
>
> You can try rpm2cpio:
>
> cd RPMS
> for i in *.rpm; do rpm2cpio $i | cpio -idv; done

I've done it in a different way:

cd en_US/RPMS ; for i in *.rpm ; do rpm -Uvh --nodeps --force
--root=/tmp/aao $i ; done

Then tarball the /tmp/aao/opt/ and we're cool... I'm currently
repackaging the whole thing in a way that doesn't raise conflicts with
RHEL. I'll make a private internal YUM repo in infra-structure to
serve AAO in a way we can dodge the Red Hat Epoch packages. I'm not
much of a fan of having to do manual operations in over 10K clients...
that's very unpleasant and uncool :)

Re: Apache OpenOffice RPMS

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Nelson,

Re: Apache OpenOffice RPMS

Posted by Nelson Marques <nm...@gmail.com>.
Kay,

If it's welcomed, I don't mind trying to improve or even help setup a
YUM/Zypp RPM repository for AOO. I knosw probably it's going to be
required to use some uncool wizardry.

My procedures to install AOO are described here:
http://www.marques.so/2012/05/apache-openoffice-made-easy-with-yum/

So if it helps anyone to install, I'm happy :)

Either way, if you need help upstream to setup repos and improve the
RPM's, let me know, I'm up for it.

NM

Re: Apache OpenOffice RPMS

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.