Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by PeterAU2 <in...@plusplus.com.au> on 2007/09/28 01:32:15 UTC

No class def error in Hello, world EJB sample application

<<added detail of web.xml>>

Hi. Please forgive newbie question!
I've put all the info I can think of here, if it's toolong winded jump to
the bottom for the summary!

I've installed Geronimo, and am trying to find/get/use a very simple sample
application on stateless session beans.

Geronimo is installed and working (I'm testing on Windows XP SP2).
I've got the book 'Pro Apache Geronimo' by Kishore Kumar.
I'm doing the 'Chapter 4 stateless example' as a starting point.
I've built the WAR file no problems using ant.
The 'Chapter 4' stateless example doesn't deploy on Geronimo 2.0.1, but
deploys fine on Geronmo 1.0, so I'm using that, using the console. It
reports 'The application was successfully deployed.', and it appears
'running' in the Applications>Web App WARS.
When I browse to the application, at http://localhost:8080/UserMgmtClient/
the docroot\index.html page displays correctly.
When I follow the link on that page:
    userMgmtClient.do Test User Management EJB  <br>
I get a HTTP 500:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
	samples.usermgmt.sl.UserMgmtClient.doGet(Unknown Source)
	javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:595)
	javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:688)

The UserMgmtClient.java contains:
package samples.usermgmt.sl;
public class UserMgmtClient extends HttpServlet {
response)
                                          throws ServletException,
IOException{
		PrintWriter out=response.getWriter();
		out.println("Here in UserMgmt Client ...<br> <br>");

The cmd jar tf userMgmt-1.0.war lists:
META-INF/
META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
WEB-INF/
WEB-INF/geronimo-web.xml
index.html
WEB-INF/web.xml
WEB-INF/classes/
WEB-INF/classes/samples/
WEB-INF/classes/samples/usermgmt/
WEB-INF/classes/samples/usermgmt/sl/
WEB-INF/classes/samples/usermgmt/sl/User.class
WEB-INF/classes/samples/usermgmt/sl/UserManagement.class
WEB-INF/classes/samples/usermgmt/sl/UserManagementBean.class
WEB-INF/classes/samples/usermgmt/sl/UserManagementHome.class
WEB-INF/classes/samples/usermgmt/sl/UserManagementLocal.class
WEB-INF/classes/samples/usermgmt/sl/UserManagementLocalHome.class
WEB-INF/classes/samples/usermgmt/sl/UserMgmtClient.class
WEB-INF/classes/samples/usermgmt/sl/UserMgmtException.class
WEB-INF/classes/samples/usermgmt/sl/Users.class
WEB-INF/lib/

So it's found the war file. But I'm not sure where to look next. Your help
is very much appreciated. Any hints at what files I should check much
appreciated

Oh, here's the WEB-INF\web.xml file:
<web-app>
	<display-name>Hello World</display-name>
	<description>Hello World Web Application</description>

	<servlet>
		 <servlet-name>UserMgmtClient</servlet-name>
		 <servlet-class>samples.usermgmt.sl.UserMgmtClient</servlet-class>
	</servlet>

	<servlet-mapping>
		 <servlet-name>UserMgmtClient</servlet-name>
		 <url-pattern>*.do</url-pattern>
	</servlet-mapping>

    	<!-- Welcome File List -->
    	<welcome-file-list>
    	    <welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>
    	</welcome-file-list>

 	<ejb-ref>
	  <ejb-ref-name>ejb/userMgmt</ejb-ref-name>
	  <ejb-ref-type>Session</ejb-ref-type>
	  <home>samples.usermgmt.sl.UserManagementHome</home>
	  <remote>samples.usermgmt.sl.UserManagement</remote>
	</ejb-ref>

</web-app>
WAR file loaded
Can't find my class.

Thanks again

Peter

Re: No class def error - Java version

Posted by Ted Kirby <te...@gmail.com>.
Geronimo 1.0 is old.  It would be best to try to get this working with
2.0.  I forget if/how well 1.0 may work with 1.5 JDK.  From the 1.0
release notes: "CORBA support requires a Sun Java 1.4.2 VM
(specifically 1.4.2_08 or a higher 1.4.2_* release)."  If you want to
pursue it, you might try with a Sun 1.4.2 JDK.

Posted by PeterAU2 <in...@plusplus.com.au>.

Re: No class def error - geronimo-web.xml

Posted by PeterAU2 <in...@plusplus.com.au>.
Here's the dist\WEB-INF\geronimo-web.xml file
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

 <web-app xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/web"
        xmlns:naming="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/naming"
        xmlns:sec="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/security"
        configId="UserMgmtClient" parentId="geronimo/j2ee-server/1.0/car">

 	<context-root>UserMgmtClient</context-root>
 	<context-priority-classloader>true</context-priority-classloader>

 	<ejb-ref>
	  <ref-name>ejb/userMgmt</ref-name>

<target-name>geronimo.server:EJBModule=UserManagement,J2EEApplication=null,J2EEServer=geronimo,j2eeType=StatelessSessionBean,name=UserMgmt</target-name>
	</ejb-ref>

</web-app>

Re: No class def error in Hello, world EJB sample application

Posted by PeterAU2 <in...@plusplus.com.au>.
The source code I'm working with is from:
http://www.apress.com/book/downloadfile/2750
Does anyone else have any success with this?
Peter

Posted by Ted Kirby <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by PeterAU2 <in...@plusplus.com.au>.

Posted by Ted Kirby <te...@gmail.com>.