Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> on 2005/07/04 13:56:31 UTC

Re: XJ - xml extension for Java

Kev Jackson wrote:
> Thought you may find this of interest.  IBM have a new way of processing
> XML docs within Java.
>
> http://www.research.ibm.com/xj/samples/sample2.html
>
> Very cool page showing how this all works (cool in firefox anyway).
>
> I like the way you can construct objects from inlined xml
>
> target t = new target(<target name="echo">
> <echo message="hello world" />
> </target>);
>
> will create a new object of type target, also you can use it dynamically:
>
> String msg = "hello again";
> target t = new target(<target name="echo">
> <echo message={msg} />
> </target>);
>
> Support for generics, autoboxing and XPath queries.
>
> Looks intersting anyway

I have been in email discourse with them, on the subject of successor
soap stacks to JAXRPC.

I think it is interesting, and Xpath is profound once you apply to
object trees. The next version will apparently work in ant, so you can
compile xj stuff from your build...

-steve

Re: XJ - xml extension for Java

Posted by Phil Weighill Smith <ph...@volantis.com>.
On Mon, 2005-07-04 at 12:56 +0100, Steve Loughran wrote:
> Xpath is profound once you apply to
> object trees

Interestingly, and orthogonal to the initial discussion, JXPath has been
able to apply XPaths to object trees for quite some time. (Clearly XJ is
something else again and definitely interesting for a number of reasons
including the XPath processing within the "language".)

Phil :n)

Re: XJ - xml extension for Java

Posted by Igor Peshansky <ig...@us.ibm.com>.
Martin Gainty wrote on 07/31/2005 07:54:54 AM:

> [...]
We
> > only support them for compiler-generated collections of XML classes.

> > > I have been in email discourse with them, on the subject of
successor
> > > soap stacks to JAXRPC.
> > >
> > > I think it is interesting, and Xpath is profound once you apply to
> > > object trees. The next version will apparently work in ant, so you
can
> > > compile xj stuff from your build...
> > >
> > > -steve
> >
> > You might be interested to know that a new release (1.0.1) of XJ is
out,
> > and it now contains an <xjc> Ant task.  Enjoy.
> >
> > Igor Peshansky (for the XJ team)
>
> Castor will marshall to xml file or unmarshall from xml based on
descriptor
> or reflection
> check out http://www.castor.org/xml-framework.html

Thanks for the pointer, we'll check it out.  From a quick glance, though,
it seems to be a databinding approach similar to JAXB, and thus suffering
from the same limitations.

> I knew of a guy named Igor Pechanski that worked on the Cygwin project
that
> went to NYU any relation ???
> Martin-

Yep, same guy (except it used to be Pechtchanski) -- that's what the
"spelling
change" in my signature refers to.
        Igor
P.S. Apologies to all for earlier duplicate messages.
--
Igor Peshansky  (note the spelling change!)
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center

Re: XJ - xml extension for Java

Re: XJ - xml extension for Java

Posted by Igor Peshansky <ig...@us.ibm.com>.

Re: XJ - xml extension for Java

Posted by Igor Peshansky <ig...@us.ibm.com>.
Steve Loughran wrote on 07/04/2005 07:56:31 AM:

> Kev Jackson wrote:
> > Thought you may find this of interest.  IBM have a new way of
processing
> > XML docs within Java.
> >
> > http://www.research.ibm.com/xj/samples/sample2.html
> >
> > Very cool page showing how this all works (cool in firefox anyway).

Thanks. :-)

> > I like the way you can construct objects from inlined xml
> >
> > target t = new target(<target name="echo">
> > <echo message="hello world" />
> > </target>);
> >
> > will create a new object of type target, also you can use it
dynamically:

> > String msg = "hello again";
> > target t = new target(<target name="echo">
> > <echo message={msg} />
> > </target>);
> >
> > Support for generics, autoboxing and XPath queries.

Just to clarify (quoting the manual): "limited support for generics".  We
only support them for compiler-generated collections of XML objects.