Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Ponomarenko Andrey <an...@yandex.ru> on 2016/06/06 15:09:15 UTC

Backward compatibility report

Hello,

I've prepared backward compatibility reports for HttpClient and HttpCore libraries:

http://abi-laboratory.pro/java/tracker/timeline/httpclient/
http://abi-laboratory.pro/java/tracker/timeline/httpcore/

I hope they will help users, maintainers and developers to maintain backward compatibility. The reports are updated daily by the japi-compliance-checker and japi-tracker tools: https://github.com/lvc/japi-compliance-checker

Please let me know if there are some false positives in the report.

Thank you.

Re: Backward compatibility report

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2016-06-08 at 16:05 +0300, Ponomarenko Andrey wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thank you for reporting this bug. Usually the tool checks super-classes and doesn't report removal of overwritten methods. But in this case the super-class is defined in the different jar (httpcore-4.2.5.jar) and therefore it was not taken into account. I'll try to fix the report soon.

Great!

Are you by any chance going to build a Maven plugin for your report
generator? I would love to replace Clirr plugin with something better.

Oleg

Posted by Ponomarenko Andrey <an...@yandex.ru>.
Hello,

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 6 June 2016 at 16:09, Ponomarenko Andrey <an...@yandex.ru> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've prepared backward compatibility reports for HttpClient and HttpCore libraries:
>
> http://abi-laboratory.pro/java/tracker/timeline/httpclient/
> http://abi-laboratory.pro/java/tracker/timeline/httpcore/
>
> I hope they will help users, maintainers and developers to maintain backward compatibility. The reports are updated daily by the japi-compliance-checker and japi-tracker tools: https://github.com/lvc/japi-compliance-checker
>
> Please let me know if there are some false positives in the report.

It does not make sense to check compatibility between 4.x and 5.x

The 5.0 series deliberately breaks compatibility.
So it uses a different package name and different Maven coordinates.
This allows the jars to co-exist safely on the classpath.

Note: if either the package name is changed, or the Maven coord (GA)
is changed (but not both) then that is an error.