Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de> on 2006/12/12 08:23:25 UTC

Velocity Site - Preview

[Hm. I could have sworn I've sent this out already. Seems it never
made it]

To let you know what I've been busy over the weekend: I've been
wrestling with maven 2 and site building. A preview of where I intent
to go is currently visible at http://velocity.apache.org/staging/

Comments, Criticism, Help, Patches wanted. Most of that is already in
the site svn; I've created a custom skin for the site, that is not yet
there.

	Best regards
		Henning

--
Henning P. Schmiedehausen  -- hps@intermeta.de | J2EE, Linux,
91054 Buckenhof, Germany   -- +49 9131 506540 | Apache person

          "Save the cheerleader. Save the world."

Re: Velocity Site - Preview

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
I like the direction this is heading, especially as laid out here:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-velocity/VelocitySite

I'll help with the Tools docs at least.  But it might be a week or so.
 I've gotta get some other work done first.

Re: Velocity Site - Preview

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com>.
Great idea!

> I also think it would be good to have a link right above
> or below it that quickly tells how to use Velocity outside a webapp.
> The title of this would probably depend on the examples created for
> it.  Which, by the way, i'm not sure we have any good, simple,
> easy-to-get-started-with, examples of this.  Maybe i'll take a shot at
> that before 1.5 goes final.

It's be nice to have a quick tutorial on...
* sending email
* generating arbitrary text files from an app
* transforming an XML file with Anakia

WILL

Forio Business Simulations

Will Glass-Husain
wglass@forio.com
www.forio.com

Re: Velocity Site - Preview

Posted by Claude Brisson <cl...@renegat.net>.
> i think we should generally refer to the Apache Velocity TLP as
> "Apache Velocity" and put no further nouns into it.  If we need a
> generic noun as a synonym, i'd stick with "project" as that is how the
> ASF views us collectively.

+1 for "Apache Velocity". Also, subprojects can be called "components".

> > > +1. Latest Version of what? We already have three sub projects.
> >
> > What about including validation/compatibility/voting steps for
> > subprojects, so that a particular version of a subproject is officially
> > linked with every engine release? Hence, there would be a "Velocity
> > package" version, the same as the core, and newcomers can avoid dealing
> > with subproject versions. Advanced users who want to mix versions can
> > fetch infos on subprojects pages and use subversion.
>
> I think this is a great idea.  Not a high priority, but definitely
> something i'd like to work on once we get the TLP move completed and
> Velocity Engine 1.5 and VelocityTools 1.3 out the door.

I just realized there are tons of projects on Apache that use the same
standardized menus in the "project documentation" section. We don't need
to follow the standard, but the "dependencies" and "reactor dependency
convergence" pages look quite interesting. I didn't dig too deep but it
seems those pages are generated by Maven using POM files, am I right?

  Claude

Re: Velocity Site - Preview

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
First, general thoughts....

Re: Velocity Site - Preview

Posted by Claude Brisson <cl...@renegat.net>.
Some remarks / suggestions...

Re: Velocity Site - Preview

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com>.
Hi Henning,

I'm afraid this is a slow conversation since we both seem to be
responding to Velocity emails in our respective evenings :-)

Thanks for the detailed response.  We're in rough agreement, but have
a difference in emphasis.  Clarifying/responding to a couple of
points.

* You've convinced me about not having the top page to default to
"Velocity Engine" but have general-project content.  I also agree the
main page needs to include a menu with brief summaries of all
subprojects.

* I want to make sure that the main page clearly communicates to the
users what Velocity-as-a-project is all about.  (Hibernate does a good
job of this).  The current draft is mostly organizational ("Velocity
is a project of the Apache Software Foundation, charged with the
creation and maintenance of open-source software... "); I'm proposing
we make this more technical.  The first three paragraphs of the
current web site aren't bad, actually.  With a little rewording we can
make them about the approach ("templating language", "separating Java
code from text content", etc.) and not about the engine.

* About webapps.  I'm just asking for a link on the main page
"Building a web application with Velocity".  (again, like the current
site).  We don't need to insist that Velocity-as-a-web-tool is
predominant.  But I'd guess more than 50% of the new users are looking
for this info.  This is tricky for them to figure out, since the
possible answers cut across multiple subprojects and third party
frameworks.  My impression is that we've had less clueless "where do i
start with the web" questions on the user list since I put up this
article, though it's hard to judge.

* About the ASF.  I see your point about our Apache community being
important part of who we are.  I still think this info is
overemphasized in the main page and would be better served by a two
links "About the Apache Velocity Project" and "About the Apache
Software Foundation" rather than 4 inches of valuable front page body
text.

I'll have some time later this week.  If you don't mind, I'll do a
pass editing the front page and see if I can inject some of these
thoughts into your excellent first cut.

WILL

Re: Velocity Site - Preview

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Re: Velocity Site - Preview

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com>.
Hi Henning,

[...]

On a new topic, when I click "Engine" I am apparently in some type of
global-all-Engine-version home page that will then link to each of our
historic versions.  I think this is a mistake.  Most users don't care
about historic versions.  I suggest we link directly to the current
release, with hyperlinks to take you to docs for historic versions (or
bleeding edge from source control).  Again, the motivation is to make
navigation simple so users can find what they want quickly.

By the way, I'd be glad to help out writing content.  But I'll pause
to hear comments first.

WILL

P.S.
Thanks for pushing this along.  I'm really eager to see us launch TLP
and Velocity 1.5.

Re: Velocity Site - Preview

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com>.
Hi Henning,