Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Mark Swinson <Ma...@bbc.co.uk> on 2011/10/13 17:58:23 UTC

indexing individual terms in large database field.....

Hi,

I'm trying to index a recipe database which contains , amongst other things, a list of ingredients stored as free text in a single mysql
column.

e.g

2 apple bananas (or ordinary bananas), peeled
50g/2oz soft brown sugar
100g/3½oz self-raising flour
1 free-range egg, beaten
3-4 tbsp sparkling water
500ml/18fl oz vegetable oil, for deep frying
50g/2oz caster sugar
25g/1oz butter
2 apple bananas (or ordinary bananas), peeled and halved lengthways

One problem I'm trying to solve is to be able to search for an individual ingredient , e.g bannas~ ( fuzzy search ) and return
the closest match from within the field. However I am unsure how to index this column so that I can return a single match.

Can solr support this sort of thing out of the box, or will I need to write a custom plugin?

Mark

http://www.bbc.co.uk/

Re: indexing individual terms in large database field.....

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Mark,

Would using Solr's support for dynamic fields work for you here? (assuming you can parse the value of that DB column and extract individual ingredients before indexing)

Otis
----