Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com> on 2019/07/07 23:02:46 UTC

[DRAFT] Apache Arrow ASF Board Report July 2019

Apache Arrow is a cross-language development platform for in-memory
data. It specifies a standardized language-independent columnar memory
format for flat and hierarchical data, organized for efficient
analytic operations on modern hardware. It also provides computational
libraries and zero-copy streaming messaging and interprocess
communication. Languages currently supported include C, C++, C#, Go,
Java, JavaScript, MATLAB, Python, R, Ruby, and Rust.

## Issues:
- There are no issues requiring board attention at this time

## Activity:
- The community is discussing a 1.0.0 release featuring
  forward-looking binary format stability guarantees. Given the
  nature of the project, this is obviously an important milestone
  for adoption and user support
- Since the last report, a new Buildbot-based CI system has been
  connected to apache/arrow to provide additional build capacity, with
  a bot system called "ursabot" to provide on demand builds, benchmark
  comparisons, and other tools to assist the developer community

## Health report:
- We have been having significant problems with CI build times and are
  discussing strategies to decouple our de velopment process from the
  shared pool of ASF-managed cloud CI resources like Travis CI and
  Appveyor
- The community is healthy, though there were some concerns
  around the 0.14.0 release vote and we are discussing
  conventions around handling issues raised during release
  candidate vetting.

## PMC changes:

 - Currently 26 PMC members.
 - Last PMC addition was Andrew Grove on Sun Feb 03 2019

## Committer base changes:

 - Currently 43 committers.
 - New commmitters:
    - Francois Saint-Jacques was added as a committer on Wed Jun 12 2019
    - Neville Dipale was added as a committer on Mon May 13 2019
- Praveen Kumar has also been invited to be a committer an accepted,
  but has not been added to the roster in whimsy yet

## Releases:

 - 0.14.0 was released on Wed Jul 03 2019

## JIRA activity:

Re: [DRAFT] Apache Arrow ASF Board Report July 2019

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.
Looks good to me. Thanks for pulling together.

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.