Posted to user@commons.apache.org by simon <si...@chello.at> on 2007/07/17 15:52:49 UTC

RE: Attribute question for Commons Digester

Hi Jonathan,

The "plugin" mechanism is for something completely different. It allows
an application to process an xml file, and call back into user code when
certain elements are found. This allows "extensible" frameworks to be
written where the basic file format is fixed but users can *at specific
locations* insert their own xml that triggers calls to their own rule
classes.

In your case (special handling of a particular xml attribute), writing a
custom subclass of Rule is the correct solution.

And the digester pattern strings only match elements, not attributes.
So, as you found out, you need to add your custom rule using a pattern
matching the required element, then within your rule pick out whichever
attribute you are actually interested in.

By the way, there are extensive examples on using and extending
Digester. These examples are included in the "source" download bundle,
and can also be browsed directly in the svn repository:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/digester/trunk/src/examples/

Regards,

Simon