Posted to asp@perl.apache.org by Tim Moore <Ti...@formscape.com> on 2002/10/04 15:32:12 UTC

RE: MLDBM errors

More on those errors I'm getting. We haven't dropped the session support yet
but we had some more 'lock' ups and the following in the apache error log...

MLDBM error: Please make sure
package.
	Perl says: "Unrecognized character \x11 at
/opt/our_product/perl/lib/site_perl/5.6.1//MLDBM/Serializer/ line 1.
Compilation failed in require at
/opt/our_product/perl/lib/site_perl/5.6.1/MLDBM.pm line 107.
" at /opt/our_product/perl/lib/site_perl/5.6.1/MLDBM/Sync.pm line 214
[Fri Oct  4 13:42:54 2002] [error] can't tie to MLDBM with args:
/tmp/asp/server/internal,258,416; error:  at
/opt/our_product/perl/lib/site_perl/5.6.1/MLDBM/Sync.pm line 214.

Attempt to free non-existent shared string at
/opt/our_product/perl/lib/site_perl/5.6.1/Apache/ASP.pm line 430.
Attempt to free non-existent shared string at
/opt/our_product/perl/lib/site_perl/5.6.1/Apache/ASP.pm line 430.
Attempt to free non-existent shared string at
/opt/our_product/perl/lib/site_perl/5.6.1/Apache/ASP/Session.pm line 179.

The line that talks about Dumper.pm not being installed correctly (possibly)
features four <soh> characters (whatever they are, but 'nedit' shows them as
<soh>). Strange thing is the missing directory name is Data which is present
on the disc and the number of <soh> characters matches the name 'Data'. This
has occurred now on a fresh install on another machine.

Our 'lock' up is at about the time of the MLDBM error, and after a while it
clears and then we get the shared string errors.

For info the versions of the components as far as Apache::ASP is concerned
are...

Apache::ASP - 2.37
MLDBM - 2.01
MLDBM::Sync - 0.30
Digest::MD5 - 2.20

Seems that only Apache::ASP is out of date, though I can't find 2.37 on CPAN
any more (not at http://cpan.org/modules/by-module/Apache anyway). 2.35 and
2.41 is there, though the readme for 2.41 doesn't say what's changed since
2.35.

Re: MLDBM errors

Posted by Josh Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
Tim Moore wrote:

> More on those errors I'm getting. We haven't dropped the session support yet
> but we had some more 'lock' ups and the following in the apache error log...
>
> MLDBM error: Please make sure
> package.
> 	Perl says: "Unrecognized character \x11 at
> /opt/our_product/perl/lib/site_perl/5.6.1//MLDBM/Serializer/ line 1.
> Compilation failed in require at

I am betting now that your data you are storing is doing some
kind of unlikely buffer overflow in some lib like SDBM_File
or Data::Dumper, so try changing these with the StateSerializer
and StateDB config settings.  Once a perl lib has a buffer
overflow, it can whack perl data structures arbitrarily
resulting in really odd errors.

> Seems that only Apache::ASP is out of date, though I can't find 2.37 on CPAN
> any more (not at http://cpan.org/modules/by-module/Apache anyway). 2.35 and
> 2.41 is there, though the readme for 2.41 doesn't say what's changed since
> 2.35.

Look at the CHANGES file in recent distributions for
what has changed since 2.35.

Regards,

Josh