Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Alexander Murmann <am...@apache.org> on 2020/09/01 14:49:17 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Shipping patch releases

I would feel much more comfortable if the default behavior was to always
port back in reverse order without skipping a support branch. This makes it
much harder to forget poring to a support branch. Few things are more
frustrating to users than upgrading to a new patch release to get a bug fix
and having that bug come back when they upgrade months later to a newer
minor release.

There definitely should be exceptions for example when we are in the final
stages of shipping a patch release on a branch, but those should be
exceptions.