Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by Benjamin Mahler <bm...@apache.org> on 2016/02/02 20:54:43 UTC

Design Doc: Initial Support for GPGPU Resources

Hi folks,

On behalf of the GPU working group [1] I'd like to share a design doc for
adding some initial support for GPU resources in Mesos:

JIRA Epic: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-4424

Design Doc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/10GJ1A80x4nIEo8kfdeo9B11PIbS1xJrrB4Z373Ifkpo/edit?usp=sharing

This targets a minimally scoped set of use cases due to the complexity of
using GPUs. Specifically, we're looking at first supporting environments
where machines may have multiple GPU cards, but only of a single type, and
there may be different hardware profiles within a cluster.

We're also going to implement an Nvidia specific isolator since writing a
generic one appears to be difficult or impossible. There were a number of
items that were cut from the initial support (see the doc for details), but
we'll be looking at in subsequent phases of work.

Thanks to all those involved in giving feedback:

Felix Abecassis
Charles Allen
Jonathan Calmels
Vikrama Ditya