Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jean-Louis 'Hans' Fuchs <je...@adfinis-sygroup.ch> on 2012/12/11 14:58:32 UTC

Official Solaris

Hello

We are working on building AOO for Solaris on Sparc and x86.
There are people out there who would like to see official
builds for these platforms. For us (and our customers), this would also
be a great step forward, and we're eager to do what we can to work on this.

So, here's a few questions / discussion points.

* What are the steps required to promote those builds to be official AOO
builds? Is there an official process?
* What is the process to make solaris a officially supported platform,
other than
providing official installers/binaries?

We are currently checking with our customers if we could move to the
GNU Toolchain
instead of the Solaris-compiler. (One uses a plug-in that is available
in binary only.)
This would resolve many build-problems and reduce our effort.

* Is something to be said against moving to GCC on solaris?

Best,
	Jean-Louis Fuchs

--
Adfinis SyGroup AG
Jean-Louis 'Hans' Fuchs, Software Engineer

Keltenstrasse 98 | CH-3018 Bern
Tel.: +41 31 550 31 11

Re: Official Solaris

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 12/11/2012 06:28 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Jean-Louis 'Hans' Fuchs
> <je...@adfinis-sygroup.ch> wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> We are working on building AOO for Solaris on Sparc and x86.
>> There are people out there who would like to see official
>> builds for these platforms. For us (and our customers), this would also
>> be a great step forward, and we're eager to do what we can to work on this.
>>
>> So, here's a few questions / discussion points.
>>
>> * What are the steps required to promote those builds to be official AOO
>> builds? Is there an official process?
>> * What is the process to make solaris a officially supported platform, other
>> than
>> providing official installers/binaries?
>>

> The main requirement for adding Solaris as a platform is to sync up
> your work with Subversion and sync up with our release date and pre-
> and post-release activities.
>
> For Solaris build to be "official" for that release, we would need:
>
> 1) Someone volunteering to post regular builds for Solaris from the
> sources in our Subversion tree.
>
> 2) One or more people to test the Solaris builds.
>
> 3) Make sure all  fixes and patches needed to build under Solaris are
> checked into Subversion

and ps...perusing INFRA tickets has told me that we've got requests in
for *new* Solaris and Mac builbots ... :)

> 4) Before we reach Release Candidate for AOO 4.0, all changes needed
> to support Solaris are in Subversion, and we have build instructions
> on our wiki so a developer could download the source from Subversion
> and build on Solaris.  In other words there is no additional secret
> knowledge or code needed to build.  It is all in Subversion (or freely
> available compatible 3rd party modules).  You can look at the level of
> detail provided for our other platforms for an example:
>
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO
>
> and
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Development+Snapshot+Builds#DevelopmentSnapshotBuilds-buildflags
>
> 5) For support, volunteers already provide support on user list and
> community forums.  For most functional issues this would be fine.
> But you would probably want to monitor to see if any Solaris-specific
> issues come up.
>
>> We are currently checking with our customers if we could move to the GNU
>> Toolchain
>> instead of the Solaris-compiler. (One uses a plug-in that is available in
>> binary only.)
>> This would resolve many build-problems and reduce our effort.
>>
>> * Is something to be said against moving to GCC on solaris?
>>
>> Best,
>>          Jean-Louis Fuchs
>>
>> --
>> Adfinis SyGroup AG
>> Jean-Louis 'Hans' Fuchs, Software Engineer
>>
>> Keltenstrasse 98 | CH-3018 Bern
>> Tel.: +41 31 550 31 11

MzK

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted."
                                  -- Aesop

Re: Official Solaris

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.
On 12/11/2012 6:28 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Jean-Louis 'Hans' Fuchs
> <je...@adfinis-sygroup.ch> wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> We are working on building AOO for Solaris on Sparc and x86.
>> There are people out there who would like to see official
>> builds for these platforms. For us (and our customers), this would also
>> be a great step forward, and we're eager to do what we can to work on this.
>>
>> So, here's a few questions / discussion points.
>>
>> * What are the steps required to promote those builds to be official AOO
>> builds? Is there an official process?
>> * What is the process to make solaris a officially supported platform, other
>> than
>> providing official installers/binaries?
>>
> The main requirement for adding Solaris as a platform is to sync up
> your work with Subversion and sync up with our release date and pre-
> and post-release activities.
>
> For Solaris build to be "official" for that release, we would need:
>
> 1) Someone volunteering to post regular builds for Solaris from the
> sources in our Subversion tree.
>
> 2) One or more people to test the Solaris builds.
>
> 3) Make sure all  fixes and patches needed to build under Solaris are
> checked into Subversion
>
> 4) Before we reach Release Candidate for AOO 4.0, all changes needed
> to support Solaris are in Subversion, and we have build instructions
> on our wiki so a developer could download the source from Subversion
> and build on Solaris.  In other words there is no additional secret
> knowledge or code needed to build.  It is all in Subversion (or freely
> available compatible 3rd party modules).  You can look at the level of
> detail provided for our other platforms for an example:
>
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO
>
> and
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Development+Snapshot+Builds#DevelopmentSnapshotBuilds-buildflags
>
> 5) For support, volunteers already provide support on user list and
> community forums.  For most functional issues this would be fine.
> But you would probably want to monitor to see if any Solaris-specific
> issues come up.

As has been discussed in other threads, one additional item would be to
hook up the Adfinis SyGroup buildbots to the Apache buildbot
infrastructure.  If we have a committer at Adfinis SyGroup with access
to the machines, it seems that the coordination with infrastructure
would not be too difficult.  (infra seems to run on beer - and the Swiss
do have good beer ;-)

A.

Re: Official Solaris

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Official Solaris

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Hello Jean-Louis;

> From: Jean-Louis 'Hans' Fuchs
>
>Hello
>
>We are working on building AOO for Solaris on Sparc and x86.
>There are people out there who would like to see official
>builds for these platforms. For us (and our customers), this would also
>be a great step forward, and we're eager to do what we can to work on this.

This is great news!

>So, here's a few questions / discussion points.
>
>* What are the steps required to promote those builds to be official AOO
>builds? Is there an official process?
>* What is the process to make solaris a officially supported platform, other than
>providing official installers/binaries?

There is no actual process, we just want to make sure that there is someone that
makes sure it builds and works fine with the code in trunk and that provides the
official builds. I understand you might be helping set up a buildbot which is a
great start.

>We are currently checking with our customers if we could move to the GNU Toolchain
>instead of the Solaris-compiler. (One uses a plug-in that is available in binary only.)
>This would resolve many build-problems and reduce our effort.
>
>* Is something to be said against moving to GCC on solaris?

Nothing against it. The main issue is probably the C bridge and then the linux/bsd
ports may be of help. There is a few documentation on how it's done:

http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Porting_Introduction

Pedro.

Re: Official Solaris

Posted by James Lee <li...@oxdrove.co.uk>.
On 11/12/2012 13:58, Jean-Louis 'Hans' Fuchs wrote:

> We are working on building AOO for Solaris on Sparc and x86.
> There are people out there who would like to see official
> builds for these platforms. For us (and our customers), this would also
> be a great step forward, and we're eager to do what we can to work on
> this.

I too want to see official Solaris support.  I currently use self built
3.4.1 on both Sparc and i386 Solaris 10.

> * Is something to be said against moving to GCC on solaris?

I'm not against gcc per se. I am against any program that requires a
particular compiler, if the code is well written it won't matter which
compiler is used and there should no talk of "moving to ...".

To link with gcc c++ objects CC now has a flag to use gcc hashing:

$ CC -compat=g ...

Unfortunately only i386 but I think that's mostly where OO is used.

James