Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Wim Deblauwe <wi...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/02 13:28:15 UTC

How do people handle installers/exe/bat/sh in maven?

Hi,

I have a question for the people that use maven to create an application (as
opposed to a library). How do you provide an easy start point for your
application?

Do you use webstart?
Do you use the assembly plugin and add .bat and .sh files to it?
Do you create an installer (with a maven plugin)?
Something else you use?

regards,

Wim

--
Vigilog - an open source log file viewer: http://vigilog.sourceforge.net
Blog: http://www.jroller.com/page/Fester

Re: How do people handle installers/exe/bat/sh in maven?

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Hi Wim,

I use the commercial Install4J ant am ANT script to create installers
for Windows, Mac and Linux.

Siegfried Goeschl

Posted by Manos Batsis <ma...@geekologue.com>.
John Coleman wrote:
> Funny you should mention this as I was just pondering this yesterday, so
> many thanks for posting about IZPack.
>
> We send WARs to our clients, but it would be nice to be able to edit the
> config files embedded in the WARs, prior to dropping the WAR into the
> container. At present they drop the WAR into Tomcat, deploy, stop the
> webapp then edit the config files manually (yuk). Would be great to have
> an installer, GUI and command line based, that does the deployment more
> smoothly and can display settings files neatly in panels.
>
> I don't think IZPack meets these requirements though, perhaps it can be
> extended.

Actually it does, even indirectly. We have used IZPack to create,
configure build and deploy EARs and databases in the past; we just had
IZPack use our existing Ant build for all this (we actually included an
Ant distribution in the installer back then).

I am sure it is far more advanced now (have not used it for a year) but
even then it was pretty flexible, as it had plenty of useful "panels"
and hooks to use for any custom stuff.

And since it is OS, it can be extended ;-)

Cheers,

Manos

RE: How do people handle installers/exe/bat/sh in maven?

> I have a question for the people that use maven to create an
application (as
> opposed to a library). How do you provide an easy start point for your
> application?
>
> Do you use webstart?
> Do you use the assembly plugin and add .bat and .sh files to it?
> Do you create an installer (with a maven plugin)?
> Something else you use?

We always liked IZPack [1], so the maven-izpack-plugin [2] was a natural

next step for us ;-)

[1] http://izpack.org/
[2] http://maven-plugins.sourceforge.net/maven-izpack-plugin/index.html

Cheers,

Manos

Eurobase International Limited and its subsidiaries (Eurobase) are unable to exercise control over the content of information in E-Mails. Any views and opinions expressed may be personal to the sender and are not necessarily those of Eurobase. Eurobase will not enter into any contractual obligations in respect of any part of its business in any E-mail.

Privileged / confidential information may be contained in this message and /or any attachments. This E-mail is intended for the use of the addressee(s) only and may contain confidential information. If you are not the / an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use or dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you receive this transmission in error, please notify us immediately, and then delete this E-mail.

Neither the sender nor Eurobase accepts any liability whatsoever for any defects of any kind either in or arising from this E-mail transmission. E-Mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free, as messages can be intercepted, lost, corrupted, destroyed, contain viruses, or arrive late or incomplete. Eurobase does not accept any responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan any attachments.

Eurobase Systems Limited is the main trading company in the Eurobase International Group; registered in England and Wales as company number 02251162; registered address: Essex House, 2 County Place, Chelmsford, Essex CM2 0RE, UK.

Re: How do people handle installers/exe/bat/sh in maven?

Posted by Manos Batsis <ma...@geekologue.com>.

Posted by Manos Batsis <ma...@geekologue.com>.

Thanks for all the info, definitely useful for me as well.

Cheers,

Manos

Posted by Vincent Massol <vi...@massol.net>.
On Oct 2, 2007, at 4:10 PM, Wim Deblauwe wrote:

>>  For launch4j I
>> simply used its Ant task that I called using the AntRun plugin.
>>

> Good idea, I current use the maven plugin (
> http://9stmaryrd.com/tools/launch4j-maven-plugin), but it is not
> maintained
> anymore it seems.

Right. I looked at it too and decided it was just simpler to use
AntRun...

-Vincent

Re: How do people handle installers/exe/bat/sh in maven?

Posted by Wim Deblauwe <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vincent Massol <vi...@massol.net>.
Hi,