Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by marc gonzalez-carnicer <ca...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/07 10:49:26 UTC

Fwd: uncommited file, svn rm

hi, a small suggestion that may be useful for
new users :

if a 'svn rm' for an scheduled for addition
file is attempted (that is, not yet commited),
the user is suggested to use the --force
switch.

i'd say it would be better to (also?) suggest the
not-so-experienced user to use svn revert, since
that may fit better what he wants to accomplish

follows output for svn 1.3.0

$ ls f
$ svn add f
A         f
$ svn rm f
svn: Use --force to override this restriction
svn: 'f' has local modifications
$ svn revert f
Reverted 'f'
$

Re: Fwd: uncommited file, svn rm

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
marc gonzalez-carnicer wrote:
> if a 'svn rm' for an scheduled for addition
> file is attempted (that is, not yet commited),
> the user is suggested to use the --force
> switch.
>
> i'd say it would be better to (also?) suggest the
> not-so-experienced user to use svn revert, since
> that may fit better what he wants to accomplish

Yes, good idea.

> $ svn add f
> A         f
> $ svn rm f
> svn: Use --force to override this restriction
> svn: 'f' has local modifications

That message can sound a bit presumptious as well.  I suggest we change it to:

   Consider using '--force' or 'svn revert'

How do others feel about that?

(It would also be better if the two messages were emitted in the opposite
order, as they once were back in the early days, but that's another matter.)

- Julian