Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Michael Schall <mi...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/23 19:51:12 UTC

Versioning external source

I am using subversion for my own source code and things are working
great.  However, we use several code libraries as source with a few
minor tweaks.  We store the source of the libraries in our subversion.

Upgrading the libraries to current version is where my question comes
in.  In the end I would like to update the files that need to be
updated, insert the new files, and delete the files no longer in the
library.

I have attempted to

svn delete folder
copy new files into folder
svn add folder

This gives a status of all files being replaced which will loose the
history.  I would like to have adds, modifies, and deletes.  This
should allow me to keep history of all the files and see the diffs
between the two versions I have used.

Any way of accomplishing this?

Thanks for your time...
Mike

Re: Versioning external source

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Aug 25, 2006, at 01:57, Michael Schall wrote:

> I think this is almost perfect.  Any chance this can be done against a
> working copy which I can commit when I like the changes?  Or does it
> have to be done against the repository itself?  I guess I can backup
> the repository and restore if I don't like it, but doing this to a
> working copy seems like a more friendly way of doing this...

svn_load_dirs.pl itself makes a working copy of the previous version
of the package in your repository, changes it to look like the new
version you're upgrading to, compares everything to make sure it's
done it right, and commits it.

The important thing to remember is that the place in the repository
where you load new versions with svn_load_dirs.pl -- usually /vendor
-- should not have any local modifications of yours. If you want to
make local modifications, copy the thing in /vendor to somewhere else
(I used /tools in my repo) and modify it there. Then you can use svn
merge to upgrade your copy to the latest version after loading a new
version into /vendor with svn_load_dirs.pl.

Re: Versioning external source

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Aug 23, 2006, at 21:51, Michael Schall wrote:

> I am using subversion for my own source code and things are working
> great.  However, we use several code libraries as source with a few
> minor tweaks.  We store the source of the libraries in our subversion.

Yes, I do this too.

> Upgrading the libraries to current version is where my question comes
> in.  In the end I would like to update the files that need to be
> updated, insert the new files, and delete the files no longer in the
> library.
>
> I have attempted to
>
> svn delete folder
> copy new files into folder
> svn add folder
>
> This gives a status of all files being replaced which will loose the
> history.  I would like to have adds, modifies, and deletes.  This
> should allow me to keep history of all the files and see the diffs
> between the two versions I have used.
>
> Any way of accomplishing this?

The svn_load_dirs.pl script makes upgrading to new versions very
easy. The script is in the Subversion source distribution. This
method is described in the book:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.2/svn.advanced.vendorbr.html

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.2/
svn.advanced.vendorbr.html#svn.advanced.vendorbr.svn_load_dirs