Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Richard van der Walt <ri...@stracienta.com> on 2010/05/03 21:56:09 UTC

[users@httpd] Proxy Error 502 on one vhost and not the second

Good day there.

I'm using mod_proxy to redirect trafic to java applications running on
JBoss instances. I have 3 JBoss instances running seperate apps, the
redirects of 2 of these works fine with mod_proxy configuration but
the third doesn't.

The first 2 instances where set up a long time ago. I've used the one
instance's configuration file for the third one as it was close to
what I required. Here's the 2 configurations.

Working:

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerAdmin developers@company.com
    ServerName sub.domain1.com
    ProxyRequests Off
    ProxyPreserveHost On
    ProxyPass / http://sub.domain1.com:18080/
    ProxyPass /media !
    ProxyPassReverse / http://sub.domain1.com:18080/
    ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/domain1-error_log
    CustomLog /var/log/apache2/domain1-access_log combined
    <Directory "/srv/www/vhosts/domain1">
        Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
        AllowOverride None
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

The one not working:

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerAdmin developers@company.com
    ServerName sub.domain2.com
    ProxyRequests Off
    ProxyPreserveHost On
    ProxyPass / http://sub.domain2.com:28080/
    #ProxyPass /media !
    ProxyPassReverse / http://sub.domain2.com:28080/
    ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/domain2-error_log
    CustomLog /var/log/apache2/domain2-access_log combined

    <Directory "/srv/www/vhosts/domain2">
        Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
        AllowOverride None
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

The one that's not working I can browse to
http://sub.domain2.com:28080 without a problem but when I try to
navigate to http://sub.domain2.com I get the following error
irrespective of whether the server it's redirecting to is started or
not.

"
Proxy Error

The proxy server could not handle the request GET /.

Reason: DNS lookup failure for: sub.domain2.com

Additionally, a 502 Bad Gateway error was encountered while trying to
use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
"

I'm running on a SuSE and Apache 2.2.4 environment.

Mod_Proxy is loading properly as is evident by the already working
instances. I'm either missing the mistake in the vhost directive or
forgot about a configuration in another file.

Regards
--
Richard van der Walt
Product Development

E-mail: richard.vdwalt@stracienta.com

E-mail legal disclaimer: http://www.stracienta.com/disclaimer.html

www.stracienta.com

Re: [users@httpd] Proxy Error 502 on one vhost and not the second

Posted by Richard van der Walt <ri...@stracienta.com>.
Hi there

Thanks for your replies, it helped pointing me into the correct
direction. As said on the initial post I could navigate with my
browser to http://sub.domain.com:28080/. However the server itself
can't resolve the sub domain 2. I've added it to the hosts file and
will restart the server this afternoon after core business hours when
all the clients are not working anymore.

Thanks a lot
Richard

On 4 May 2010 03:27, Igor Cicimov <ic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can also resolve it locally on the Suse server in /etc/hosts file if you
> know the ip_address of the sub.domain2.com
>
> ip_address   subdomain2   sub.domain2.com
>
> and make sure that the name resolution for hosts in the /etc/nsswitch.conf
> file is
>
> hosts:      files dns
>
> Igor
>
> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Igor Cicimov <ic...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Contact who ever is maintaining the DNS server in your company and ask
>>> them to add an alias for sub.domain2.com pointing to the same IP address as
>>> sub.domain1.com.
>>
>> Actually this is wrong. Should be contact who ever is maintaining the DNS
>> server in your company and ask them to add proper DNS record for
>> sub.domain2.com
>>
>> Igor
>>

>> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Igor Cicimov <ic...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Obviously as the error says you have DNS problem. Apache can not resolve
>>> sub.domain2.com into IP address. Contact who ever is maintaining the DNS
>>> server in your company and ask them to add an alias for sub.domain2.com
>>> pointing to the same IP address as sub.domain1.com.
>>>
>>> Igor

Richard van der Walt
Product Development
Stracienta SA (Pty) Ltd.