Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com> on 2014/10/07 12:42:04 UTC

On documentation

Hello all

I edited the developer guide in order to resolve a few false friends
between French and English (e.g. for the translation of the French
"référentiel géodétique", "geodetic referential" looks like a natural
fit but the actual English term is rather "geodetic datum". Obviously
this can not be guessed, so I think it is normal that such changes were
missed). I also substituted some words or expressions that I have see
widely used in other projects or at OGC (e.g. "data collection",
"coordinate reference system", or "merge" for SVN operations). In some
places the translation make me realize that the original French sentence
was confusing, so I rewrote it and edited the English one accordingly.
The result is there:

    http://sis.staging.apache.org/book/en/developer-guide.html

If anyone is willing to review this text, any comments are welcome
(changing words, explain better some sections, omit uninteresting
sections, move items order). Staying close to the French version is not
required (I suggest to completely forget the French version from now
when editing the English one, as I think that some ideas may be
expressed more naturally with quite different sentences in both
languages). If someone volunteer for being the English editor, I suggest
that (s)he commit directly to the SVN.

Also, if a French-speaking volunteer is willing to comment on the French
version, that would also be appreciated:

    http://sis.staging.apache.org/book/fr/developer-guide.html

Both versions are very incomplete and work in progress. I will keep this
list informed as I add new sections, so editors could review them. I
listed some sections that I wish to add in [1], much more material will
come later (especially when "referencing by coordinates" work will restart).

Also, if there is volunteer familiar with JavaScript, it would be nice
to have a more dynamic table of content. I found a project called
"Tocify" which may be suitable. The links are in the JIRA task [2].

    Martin

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SIS-91
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SIS-182