Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Blake McBride <bl...@gmail.com> on 2022/08/11 00:05:48 UTC

Running with three heads

Greetings,

I have three monitors.  I like to have the IDE with the back-end on one
monitor.  Another IDE running the front-end on a second monitor.  And then,
the browser displaying the app on the third monitor.

The problem I am having is that NB (14) will only allow me to have one
(essentially) head.  I know I can open up both projects on the same head,
but I want to see code from both at the same time.  So, I'd like to open
two copies of NB.  One would be open to my front-end project, and the other
would be open to my back-end project.  Can I do this?

Thanks!

Blake McBride

Re: Running with three heads

Posted by Blake McBride <bl...@gmail.com>.
Thanks!

Re: Running with three heads

Posted by "Mark A. Flacy" <mf...@verizon.net.INVALID>.

Re: Running with three heads

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 11 Aug 2022 at 01:06, Blake McBride <bl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem I am having is that NB (14) will only allow me to have one (essentially) head.  I know I can open up both projects on the same head, but I want to see code from both at the same time.  So, I'd like to open two copies of NB.  One would be open to my front-end project, and the other would be open to my back-end project.  Can I do this?

You can also run multiple copies by passing in the --userdir parameter
to the launcher.  The best way to do this might depend on what package
and OS you're using.

I can't say I do this day-to-day, but for testing purposes I use this
a lot.  eg. ./bin/netbeans --userdir /tmp/foo

Best wishes,

Neil