Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Mark Fortner <ph...@gmail.com> on 2022/08/01 20:02:35 UTC

Re: How do I install and use Apache Commons?

Even simpler, is to create a groovy script.

   1. Use sdkman <https://sdkman.io/> to install groovy on your local
   machine if you don't already have it.
   2. Launch the Groovy console using the *groovyConsole* command in your
   Terminal Window (or equivalent).
   3. Go to the maven repository <https://mvnrepository.com> and search for
   the libraries that you want to use. Let's say you want to play with Commons
   IO <https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/commons-io/commons-io/2.11.0>.
   View the *Grapes* tab in the web page and copy paste the contents into
   your groovyConsole window.
   4. Go to the Commons IO <https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-io/>
   web page (or any other package) and look for some sample code to try out,
   and copy and paste it into your groovyConsole window, then click the play
   button in the console. The script will execute and automatically download
   the library and add it to your classpath the first time it runs. Groovy
   uses both Java syntax and Groovy syntax, so either will work in your
   console.

Cheers,

Mark