Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Jeff & Celia <ja...@bigpond.com> on 2017/12/07 05:16:54 UTC

Simple question

  Hi guys

  I've recently downloaded Openoffice version 4.1.4 and am having a funny little problem.

  I've searched thru the help fields and can't find anything there.

  I registered for your users forum but, try as I might, I couldn't even work our how to post a question.

  So I thought I'd try this.  As I said, I think (hope) my issue is a simple one.

  Until recently I've used an old version of Word on my Windows XP computer but that seems top have died, hence now using OpenOffice.

  Several times a year I have to put together a list with names and dates.  The dates are shown at the top of columns
  and I have always just written them as, eg, Feb 5 for February 5 or, say, Sep 19 for September 19. In context of what I'm doing I don't need
  anything else. Just Feb 5, Sep 19 and so on.

  My problem is that when I write Feb 5 then tab to the next column, it changes to 01/02/05. Sep 6 changes to 01/09/06.

  Any ideas as to how I stop what I want changing to something I don't want?

  I'd appreciate anything you can offer.

  Regards
  Jeff Pohlmann
  NSW Australia

Re: Simple question

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 16:16 07/12/2017 +1100, Jeff Pohlmann wrote:
>Until recently I've used an old version of Word on my Windows XP
>computer but that seems top have died, hence now using OpenOffice.
>
>Several times a year I have to put together a list with names and
>dates. The dates are shown at the top of columns and I have always
>just written them as, eg, Feb 5 for February 5 or, say, Sep 19 for
>September 19. In context of what I'm doing I don't need anything
>else. Just Feb 5, Sep 19 and so on. My problem is that when I write
>Feb 5 then tab to the next column, it changes to 01/02/05. Sep 6
>changes to 01/09/06.
>
>Any ideas as to how I stop what I want changing to something I don't want?

I'm having to guess here, because you suggest you are using columns
in a text (Writer) document, but your comment about tabbing to the
next column suggests that instead you have a table. If so...

You can disable this function by removing the tick from Tools |
Options... | OpenOffice Writer | Table | Input in tables | Number
recognition | Number format recognition. If you prefer, you can
disable number recognition completely by removing the tick from Tools
| Options... | OpenOffice Writer | Table | Input in tables | Number
recognition instead.

But there is a simpler solution. Before entering the data, go to
Table | Number Format... | Category (or right-click |  Number
Format... | Category) and set the format to Text. Then your input
values will not be reformatted.

Alternatively, you could choose to allow OpenOffice to adjust your
values, but set the format you wanted. To do that, go to Table |
Number Format... (or right-click |  Number Format... )  and enter
"MMM D" (no quotes) in the Format code box at the bottom. That will
show today's date as "Dec 7" from any of a range of possible ways of
inputting it.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker