Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Kenneth McDonald <ke...@sbcglobal.net> on 2008/09/04 19:19:38 UTC

How to print out only the most recent log message for each file in a project?

If I do 'svn log HEAD', I only get the log message for the most recent
commit. I'd like something like an option to 'svn status' that prints
log messages, but it doesn't seem to exist. Is it possible to do what
I want?

Thanks,
Ken

Re: How to print out only the most recent log message for each file in a project?

Posted by Quinn Taylor <qu...@mac.com>.
>> If I do 'svn log HEAD', I only get the log message for the most
>> recent
>> commit. I'd like something like an option to 'svn status' that
>> prints log
>> messages, but it doesn't seem to exist. Is it possible to do what I
>> want?
>
> Revisions are global to the repository, not unique to each file. So,
> to get the log message associated with the revision where each file
> was last changed, you'll need to script:
>
> For each file, run svn info
> Parse the output to get the last changed rev
> Run svn log -r <rev> <filename>
>
> Or something close to that.

Something close to what you want it possible. Printing the log
statements for individual files and directories is likely to be nigh
unto unintelligible. However, `svn list --verbose URL` will print the
last revision, last modifier, modify date, and path for every node at
the specified URL. This is certainly much easier than scripting a
solution and dealing with the network latency and extra parsing.

That said, it might be nice to have finer control over what is
printed, but the predictable structure of --verbose is easy enough to
handle, and there are many more important fish to fry.

If you really want the log messages, I'd recommend getting the verbose
list, creating a non-repeating set of revision numbers, then running
`svn log --revision REV` for each revision. Or use something like
WebSVN or ViewVC to browse to the revisions of interest.  :-)

  - Quinn

Re: How to print out only the most recent log message for each file in a project?

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.