Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by M B <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2001/06/14 20:22:55 UTC

Tomcat Admin Web Interface

Hello All,

documentation and administration (Re: ~rant~ Docs,
user list, etc.), I am willing to contribute much
effort in this area.  In addition to documentation, I
am particularly interested in helping to build an
administrative web interface for Tomcat 4.0, something
similar to JRun Management Console, for example.

Naturally, I want to coordinate my efforts with the
Tomcat community.  Can anyone please point out where I
should begin, or who I should contact?  Is there a
project for this?  The Catalina TODO identifies John
Shin as volunteer for producing an admin interface,
but I thought I should email this list before
contacting him directly.

Thanks,
Matt

http://buzz.yahoo.com/

Re: Tomcat Admin Web Interface

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.
"Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, M B wrote:
>
> > Hello All,

> > documentation and administration (Re: ~rant~ Docs,
> > user list, etc.), I am willing to contribute much
> > effort in this area.  In addition to documentation, I
> > am particularly interested in helping to build an
> > administrative web interface for Tomcat 4.0, something
> > similar to JRun Management Console, for example.
> >

> That would be awesome!
>
> > Naturally, I want to coordinate my efforts with the
> > Tomcat community.  Can anyone please point out where I
> > should begin, or who I should contact?  Is there a
> > project for this?  The Catalina TODO identifies John
> > Shin as volunteer for producing an admin interface,
> > but I thought I should email this list before
> > contacting him directly.
> >

> He volunteered long, long, ago but I haven't heard anything from him
> lately.
>
> As it happens, I've been accumulating a list of functional requirements
> for admin capabilities that I'd like to post for discussion.  I'll be
> finished with what I'm thinking in the next couple of days.
>
> What I'd like to see us do on issues like this is to discuss and agree on
> a functional specs document that is checked in to the CVS repository, and
> then start working together on the pieces.  It's a little more formal than
> the usual :-) open source approach, but I think it will help in the long
> run.  Does that sound like a useful plan?

Sounds good.  Have you considered using SOAP to implement Tomcat admin
transactions?

Regards,

Glenn

Re: Tomcat Admin Web Interface

Posted by bi...@razorfish.com.
Quoting "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>:

> [...]
>
> What I'd like to see us do on issues like this is to discuss and agree
> on
> a functional specs document that is checked in to the CVS repository,
> and
> then start working together on the pieces.  It's a little more formal
> than
> the usual :-) open source approach, but I think it will help in the
> long
> run.  Does that sound like a useful plan?

Sounds good, +1!

          ..bip

Re: Tomcat Admin Web Interface

Posted by Amy Roh <am...@apache.org>.

"Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, M B wrote:
>
> > Hello All,

> > documentation and administration (Re: ~rant~ Docs,
> > user list, etc.), I am willing to contribute much
> > effort in this area.  In addition to documentation, I
> > am particularly interested in helping to build an
> > administrative web interface for Tomcat 4.0, something
> > similar to JRun Management Console, for example.
> >

> That would be awesome!
>
> > Naturally, I want to coordinate my efforts with the
> > Tomcat community.  Can anyone please point out where I
> > should begin, or who I should contact?  Is there a
> > project for this?  The Catalina TODO identifies John
> > Shin as volunteer for producing an admin interface,
> > but I thought I should email this list before
> > contacting him directly.
> >

> He volunteered long, long, ago but I haven't heard anything from him
> lately.
>
> As it happens, I've been accumulating a list of functional requirements
> for admin capabilities that I'd like to post for discussion.  I'll be
> finished with what I'm thinking in the next couple of days.
>
> What I'd like to see us do on issues like this is to discuss and agree on
> a functional specs document that is checked in to the CVS repository, and
> then start working together on the pieces.  It's a little more formal than
> the usual :-) open source approach, but I think it will help in the long
> run.  Does that sound like a useful plan?

+1 Sounds good to me.  :-)

Amy

Posted by Matthew Bergen <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Exactly what I had hoped for, Craig.  I'll keep an eye on the list.  Thanks!

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, M B wrote:

> Hello All,

> documentation and administration (Re: ~rant~ Docs,
> user list, etc.), I am willing to contribute much
> effort in this area.  In addition to documentation, I
> am particularly interested in helping to build an
> administrative web interface for Tomcat 4.0, something
> similar to JRun Management Console, for example.

That would be awesome!

> Naturally, I want to coordinate my efforts with the
> Tomcat community.  Can anyone please point out where I
> should begin, or who I should contact?  Is there a
> project for this?  The Catalina TODO identifies John
> Shin as volunteer for producing an admin interface,
> but I thought I should email this list before
> contacting him directly.

He volunteered long, long, ago but I haven't heard anything from him
lately.

As it happens, I've been accumulating a list of functional requirements
for admin capabilities that I'd like to post for discussion.  I'll be
finished with what I'm thinking in the next couple of days.

What I'd like to see us do on issues like this is to discuss and agree on
a functional specs document that is checked in to the CVS repository, and
then start working together on the pieces.  It's a little more formal than
the usual :-) open source approach, but I think it will help in the long
run.  Does that sound like a useful plan?

> Thanks,
> Matt

Craig