Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Craig Raw <cr...@quirk.biz> on 2007/05/27 11:51:22 UTC

SMTPserver not responding

Hi,

I've recently upgraded from James 2.2.0 to James 2.3.1, running a pretty standard config on Java
1.4.2/Linux.

I'm experiencing a problem with the SMTP server in that, after a while (say a few minutes to a few
hours), the SMTP server no longer responds to connections. That is, you can telnet to port 25, but
you won't greeted by a welcome message or get any response to a given command.

The smtpserver logs in general shed no light on this situation - they simply stop logging. The POP
server responds fine. It's worth mentioning however that one of the times this happened, I got 30
"ERROR: SMTP Connection has idled out." messages before the EOF, which is also the number of my
max-connections setting.

A thread dump in this condition shows most of the threads waiting at the following point:

"default Worker #49" daemon prio=1 tid=0x0810d478 nid=0x1b0a waiting for monitor entry
[0xe7c57000..0xe7c581b8]
         at org.apache.james.mailrepository.JDBCMailRepository.store(JDBCMailRepository.java:548)
         - waiting to lock <0xebd53510> (a org.apache.james.mailrepository.JDBCSpoolRepository)
         at org.apache.james.mailrepository.JDBCSpoolRepository.store(JDBCSpoolRepository.java:240)
         at
org.apache.james.mailrepository.MailStoreSpoolRepository.store(MailStoreSpoolRepository.java:126)

Since James has entered this state twice the morning already, I'd really appreciate some help, or I
will be forced to downgrade.

Thanks,
Craig

Re: SMTPserver not responding

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Hi Craig,

can you post the full thread dump: I'd like to know who is locking the
JDBCMailRepository (0xebd53510).

Stefano

Posted by Craig Raw <cr...@quirk.biz>.
Hi Stefano,

Thanks for your quick response. The full thread dump is attached - I hope it helps.

I thing I did was to drop the spool table in MySQL and have James recreate it. MySQL did not report
it was corrupt, but perhaps it was in some way. So far the error hasn't occurred again today.

Thanks,
Craig