Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Per Olesen <po...@trifork.com> on 2010/07/09 10:53:28 UTC

UnavailableException on QUORUM write

Hi,

I am a bit confused about getting an UnavailableException when doing a QUORUM write.

I have a 3 node cluster, with RF=3. When all 3 nodes are up, the QUORUM write succeeds. When 1 of the 3 nodes are down, the QUORUM write fails with UnavailableException. Shouldn't it be enough with 2 nodes up for RF=3? Won't N/2+1 be 2 in my case?

/Per

Re: UnavailableException on QUORUM write

Posted by Per Olesen <po...@trifork.com>.
On Jul 27, 2010, at 12:23 AM, Jonathan Ellis wrote:

> Can you turn on debug logging and try this patch?

Yes, but..I am on vacation now, so it will be about 3 weeks from now.

Re: UnavailableException on QUORUM write

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra

SV: UnavailableException on QUORUM write

Posted by Per Olesen <po...@trifork.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Per Olesen <po...@trifork.com>.
>Seed should only be important when joining the cluster.  You're using
>the Thrift API, right?

Yep!

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Per Olesen <po...@trifork.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Per Olesen <po...@trifork.com>.

Posted by ChingShen <ch...@gmail.com>.
Which client library do you use?

Shen

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
this sounds like a bug, although if you've attempted any node movement
or bootstrapping, that could cause the required quorum to be larger
than just the number of nodes.