Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by kelvin goodson <kg...@thegoodsons.org.uk> on 2008/07/31 17:33:30 UTC

preserving valuable edits from branch to trunk

I've been doing a bit of remedial work on the SDO trunk in the last few
days;  picking out valuable edits from the 1.1 and 1.1.1 branches and tags
that had not made it to the trunk.  Some of these edits went back to March
of this year,  so in that time the trunk had altered,  making the picture
quite confusing at times.

I used the svn merge command to apply the edits to the trunk,  which makes
the task reasonably simple.  If the trunk has been altered significantly in
the same area of the code then the svn merge command might present you with
some conflicts to resolve,  but if done promptly at the time of making the
branch edit, then the likelihood of having any conflicts  to resolve is low.

I updated the "Making Releases" wiki page [1]  to point this out to release
managers,  and included a note on how to do this since it is often they who
are making edits in a branch or tag.  However,  I think it's worth just
raising everyone's awareness as to how much pain this can cause if left
undone for a period of time.

Kelvin.

[1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANY/Making%20releases

Re: preserving valuable edits from branch to trunk

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.
steps mentioned in Luciano's mail thread could be added to developer's
guide. I'll make a note to do this but I won't get to it till next week but
don't let me hold you back if you were planning to do it yourself.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
++1, also mentioned here [1]