Posted to yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Alex Bodó <al...@cloudera.com.INVALID> on 2018/12/17 14:07:31 UTC

Providing patch via Pull Request

Hi All,

I am trying to submit my first contribution to YARN and so I would like to
ask some help/ clarification regarding the appropriate ways of doing this.

I was happy to see in the contributors guide that Pull Requests are a
viable alternative to uploading a patch to Jira. (
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HADOOP/How+To+Contribute)

*Provide a patch*

> *There are two patterns to provide a patch.*
>
>    - *Create and attach a diff in ASF JIRA*
>    -
>
>    *Create a pull request in GitHub
>    <https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/GitHub>*

> *Creating a GitHub pull request*

*You need to set the title which starts with the corresponding JIRA issue
> number. (e.g. HADOOP-XXXXX. Fix a typo in YYY.)  Jenkins precommit job will
> search the corresponding GitHub
> <https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/GitHub> pull request and apply the diff
> automatically.  If there is a corresponding pull request, you don't need to
> attach a patch in this issue because the precommit job always runs on pull
> request instead of the attached patch.*

Based on this I did the following:

1.) I created a pull request against the trunk branch as described in the
contributors guide
2.) I set the Jira status to 'patch available'

These steps did not trigger the run of the Jenkins tests.

Are these steps correct, or am I missing something here?

Issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-9094
PR: https://github.com/apache/hadoop/pull/448

Thank you
Alex Bodo

Re: Providing patch via Pull Request

Posted by Akira Ajisaka <aa...@apache.org>.
Hi Alex,

Thank you for your contribution.
Now Jenkins and GitHub integration is not working, so would you attach
the patch in the JIRA?

Regards,
Akira

Posted by Akira Ajisaka <aa...@apache.org>.